The Oakland Athletics snapped a nine-game losing streak with a win over the Detroit Tigers Friday night. Brent Rooker homered for the third straight game and has his eyes set on his first career 30-homer season. Rooker was claimed off waivers from the Royals last November. He seized on the opportunity for regular playing time and slugged nine homers and put up a 231 wRC+ over his first 22 games. However, his season would be filled with plenty of peaks and valleys. After that explosive first month, Rooker hit just .195/.280/.337 with four homers and a 76 wRC+ over his next 49 games.
Brent Rooker offers up strong, heartfelt advice to any struggling young players after bouncing back from a mid-season rut pic.twitter.com/m5zfnJfjR5— A's on NBCS (@NBCSAthletics) September 23, 2023
Rooker heated back up in July (143 wRC+), cooled in August (93 wRC+) and is finishing strong down the stretch. He is slugging .660 in September with a 163 wRC+.
The book on Rooker has always been a lot of power and a lot of swing and miss. His 32.3% strikeout rate is right in line with his career average. He’s not a great defender in the outfield and has seen most of his action at DH. Despite his shortcomings, Rooker has proven to be a nice story in an otherwise lost season for the A’s.
- Athletics snap losing streak, beat Tigers 8-2
- Brett Harris, Royber Salinas among A’s prospects heading to Arizona Fall League
- Sean Doolittle retires after 11 MLB seasons, leaving lasting Nationals, A’s legacy
- Community Prospect List: No. 22
- Ronald Acuña Jr. becomes rarest member of elite 40-40 club
- The Padres are making a last stand
- Here are the 2023 Arizona Fall League rosters
- Clayton Kershaw still trying to learn new tricks on the mound
- Twins down Angels to clinch AL Central title
- MLB to use neutral pitch clock operators for postseason games
- Max Fried goes on IL, but likely to return for NLDS
- Marlins’ Sandy Alcantara has forearm tightness after rehab start
- Twins place Royce Lewis on IL with hamstring strain
- Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe out 4-6 weeks with knee injury
- Michael Kopeck undergoes minor knee procedure
Best of Twitter
Another big home run for Shea Langeliers
Brent Rooker’s third homer in as many games.
So that’s back-to-back-to-back homer games for Rooker. pic.twitter.com/uyIRYQHZZd— Jessica Kleinschmidt (@KleinschmidtJD) September 23, 2023
Esteury Ruiz with a big hit to blow the game open
Shea Langeliers on his goal to play as much as possible this season