Oakland Athletics catcher Shea Langeliers hit his 20th home run of the season and is just the fifth A’s catcher to eclipse the 20 homer mark since the club moved to Oakland. Langeliers is in his first full season in the majors. The rest of his batting line isn’t that impressive. He will enter Saturday’s game hitting .206/.268/.407 with an 85 wRC+, but he has shouldered the load behind the plate appearing in 114 games while logging seven more as a DH.
He is finishing strong too. Langeliers has seven homers and a 134 wRC+ over his last 17 games. Ten of his homers have come in 159 plate appearances during the second half. While players like Zack Gelof and Lawrence Butler have gotten a lot of the attention down the stretch, Langeliers remains an important piece as the team progresses through a rebuild.
No. 20 on the season for Bangeliers pic.twitter.com/iotuKWf10S— A's on NBCS (@NBCSAthletics) September 16, 2023
- Athletics drop series opener to Padres 8-3
- Padres manager Bob Melvin back in Coliseum, ‘loved’ his time with A’s
- Shohei Ohtani’s locker cleared out: Has the superstar played his last game for Angels?
- Giants Chairman: Zaidi/Kapler will return in 2024
- Luis Rengifo undergoes biceps surgery
- Anthony Misiewicz departs after taking 100.6 mph liner off head
- Angels’ Anthony Rendon says injury a fractured tibia, not a bone bruise
- What David Sterns will bring to the Mets
- Marcus Stroman to pitch out of bullpen
- Giants activate Michael Conforto from injured list
- Royce Lewis shatters Twins’ single-season grand slam record
- Ronald Acuña Jr. exits series opener with right calf tightness
- Padres reinstate Ji Man Choi
- ‘Forever grateful’ Adam Jones officially retires as an Oriole
- MLB honors Roberto Clemente’s legacy across baseball today
Best of Twitter
Brent Rooker hit his 25th home run of the season.
Ryan Noda had something to say to the home plate umpire and was ejected
Ryan Noda got tossed after appearing to make a remark to the ump pic.twitter.com/nQWx4QY04M— A's on NBCS (@NBCSAthletics) September 16, 2023
Mark Kotsay on Noda’s ejection
Mark Kotsay shares what went down during Ryan Noda's ejection in the eighth inning pic.twitter.com/JFB90Palfr— A's on NBCS (@NBCSAthletics) September 16, 2023
Sean Newcomb addresses his shaky outing