Happy Thursday, Athletics Nation!
Last night was stuffed full of news regarding the A’s potentially leaving for Las Vegas. The Nevada Legislature was called into a “special session” to debate and possibly vote on a bill regarding the A’s moving to Vegas. Let’s just say, it didn’t go so smoothly for John Fisher and Dave Kaval.
There were arguments from both sides of the relocation making their points deep into the night. So deep that it this session ended up going until midnight. Yikes.
Just check out this thread from Pratt and you’ll get the gist of what happened and all the details:
In the end nothing was voted on, but it’s coming eventually. Jon Ralston of The Nevada Independent gave his opinion of where things stand after last night:
Team @TheNVIndy on A's hearing -- deep, contextual.— Jon Ralston (@RalstonReports) June 8, 2023
I count about 8 lean yes, 8 lean no, 5 or so undecided. 11 needed.
My guess is this comes down to whether amendments sway Dems and whether gov can holster veto pen to placate ornery Dems.
It could happen.
IT'S CLOSE! https://t.co/d28bbQxDAy
The session finally ended but is going to resume early tomorrow at 11:30 AM. Keep those fingers crossed, everyone.
Don’t give up hope, Oakland fans. This fan sure hasn’t.
- Apstein: MLB has the power to keep A’s in Oakland
- Hardin Sr: A’s take series with 9-5 win over Pirates
- Stern: Nevada revisits Athletics’ stadium proposal in special session
- Ostler: What happens if A’s crap out on their Las Vegas ballpark gamble?
MLB News & Interest:
- Carter: Mets’ Alonso leaves early, X-rays on wrist negative
- Lee: Yankees place Aaron Judge on IL with toe injury
- Thompson: De La Cruz’s first career home run leads to announcer’s electric call during broadcast
- De Nicola: Arraez’s batting average now at .403
- McDonald: Brewers option Brice Turang, activate Willy Adames
- Adams: Mariners keeping Bryan Woo in starting rotation… for now
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter:
Seems like that might be a big thing:
Sounds like there are really zero answers to traffic concerns at one of the busiest intersections in the country. Other than… the “county will handle that”.— Brodie Brazil (@BrodieNBCS) June 8, 2023
Research? Studies? Planning?
Inching closer and closer to his debut…
Soderstrom hitting it into Chris Carter territory — as a left-handed hitter. Impressive. https://t.co/Pk6Y2V2Td9— Melissa Lockard (@melissalockard) June 8, 2023
Might be something for Las Vegas to consider:
Of recent note: Milwaukee (20 years old & retractable roof) just got hit with a $450M renovation proposal. https://t.co/kazimE5XGP— Brodie Brazil (@BrodieNBCS) June 8, 2023
Just a slight lead: