Happy Sunday Athletics Nation!
Shintaro Fujinami started Saturday’s game as an opener and retired just two hitters before Hogan Harris was forced to enter the game early to try and clean up the mess. Fujinami retired just two hitters while allowing four hits and two runs. That snapped a six-appearance stretch where he had just allowed one run over 6 2/3 innings. He again flashed a 101 mph fastball Saturday, but the velocity hasn’t made up for a lack of movement.
Fujinami was seen as somewhat of a project when the A’s signed him this offseason, but it was hard to envision this type of struggles. For the season, Fujinami has a 10.57 ERA in 38 1/3 innings. His 5.59 FIP tells a different story, but it still not one of an effective pitcher. He has a 14.26 ERA as a starter, which also includes three appearances as an opener. He’s pitched better as a reliever, but his 7.40 ERA and 5.23 xFIP don’t instill a ton of confidence.
Fujinami’s roster spot isn’t in danger because this A’s squad is going nowhere and can afford to keep running him out there. Still, it has been somewhat shocking to see a pitcher with as good of stuff as Fujinami, struggle to the degree that he has.
- Athletics fall to Blue Jays 7-3
- What will June 24th bring us this year? (Spoiler Alert: No Pony)
- Thrust into tough situation, Harris learns on the fly
- Paul Blackburn embracing mentor status with A’s
- LSU hurler delivers historic 17-K performance at College World Series
- Cubs turn London Series opener into jolly old romp
- Aaron Judge has torn ligament in toe; still no timeline for return
- These teams could be primed for big second halves
- Wander Franco’s homer in first at-bat since benching lone bright spot
- Angels acquire Mike Moustakas
- Angels to promote David Fletcher
- 6 under-the-radar pitchers with a rare blend of skills
- Rangers place Jose Leclerc on 15-day injured list
- Astros sign Jon Singleton to minors deal
Best of Twitter
Seth Brown’s solo homer was one of the few A’s highlights from Saturday
Ryan Cusick turned in a solid performance for the RockHounds