The Oakland Athletics began the 2023 Cactus League on a good note with a 12-7 win Saturday over the Arizona Diamondbacks. Several of Oakland’s young players turned in good performances in the debut, which is a good thing for a rebuilding club like the Athletics. Tyler Soderstrom, Lawrence Butler, Zack Gelof and Denzel Clarke all recorded hits in the opener and scored four runs. Additionally, Freddy Tarnok allowed a hit and struck out two over two scoreless innings.
The Cactus League schedule will continue again Sunday as Oakland takes on Milwaukee at 12:10 p.m. PST. Left-hander Kyle Muller will make his spring debut Sunday for the A’s.
- (Nico): New rules give A’s an opportunity to “Moneyball”
- Freddy Tarnok embraces competition for roster spot
- James Kaprielian nears return to action
- A’s adapt to MLB’s quicker pace in Cactus League opener, still play long game
- Tony Clark says MLBPA is ‘never going to agree’ to a salary cap
- Red Sox-Braves game ends on automatic strike call
- Cardinals’ Oliver Marmol: Umpire C.B. Bucknor ‘has zero class’
- Fernando Tatis targeting Tuesday for spring debut
- Five pitchers who can bounce back in 2023
Best of Twitter
Flashing the “W”
Outfield prospect Lawrence Butler was 1-for-2 with a walk and drove in two runs in Saturday’s win.
Ryan Noda doubled in his Oakland debut
Rule 5 pick Ryan Noda making a good first impression pic.twitter.com/7kPTXnMwAm— The Rickey Henderson of Blogs (@RickeyBlog) February 25, 2023
Oakland scored six times in the fifth including a two-run double by Jace Peterson that tied the game.