The Arizona Fall League is underway and Oakland Athletics infielder Brett Harris is already showing off his on base skills. Harris is just 2-for-7 at the plate, but has walked seven times through his first three games, which is the second most in the league so far. Harris has scored five runs and has stolen four bases without being caught. Harris also made a heady defensive play in a game this week as pointed out in Baseball America’s prospect report for Monday.
Harris stood out for a couple of reasons on Friday, one of which does not show up in the box score. With a runner on second base, a Salt River hitter squibbed a ball up the third base line. Harris watched and waited for the ball to go foul, which clear wasn’t going to happen. Instead, Harris’ patience deked the runner into getting a bit too cheeky, and Harris picked the ball up and rifled to second base to catch the runner napping and turn an infield single into a fielder’s choice on a play that was equal parts Tom Emanski and Konstantin Stanislavski. Harris also walked four times, stole two bases and scored a run.
- Key storylines for NLDS action with 2 juggernauts on the ropes
- Does MLB’s playoff format already need changes as higher seeds lose advantage?
- Dodgers confident handing ball to rookie in Game 2: ‘He’s ready’
- Why the Dodgers’ playoffs pitching blueprint won’t change
- The radical calm of Bruce Bochy
- Latest on Red Sox’s GM search, offseason plans
- Rangers’ Josh Jung, in honor of his hero Brooks Robinson, shows he isn’t backing off
- ‘There’s not much risk’: Turner swiping bases at historic rate
- Cardinals interested in Aaron Nola, Sonny Gray
- Lovullo next in line for extension as D-backs rise
Best of Twitter
Happy Birthday Joey Estes