Happy Wednesday, Athletics Nation!
The A’s 2023 season is barely over, but potential changes to the team’s depth chart are already underway. A’s minor Leaguers Cody Thomas and Spencer Patton were announced to have selected free agency yesterday, per Jason Burke at SI.com.
Thomas was drafted by the Dodgers in the 13th round in 2016 and sent to the A’s ahead of the 2021 season as part of the trade for Adam Kolarek and Sheldon Neuse. He made his MLB debut with the A’s in 2022, and since then has slashed .250/.308/.333 in 78 MLB plate appearances.
The outfielder also hit well with the Aviators in Triple-A this year, slashing .301/.361/.562 with a 115 wRC+, 23 home runs, and 109 RBI.
Patton has been bouncing between Triple-A and MLB since 2014. Originally drafted by the Royals in the 24th round of the 2011 draft, the 35-year-old reliever spent time in the Rangers’ and Cubs’ systems before signing a minor league deal with the A’s this year.
Patton posted a 5.11 ERA in 12⅓ innings with the A’s this season, which happens to equal his career MLB ERA through 116⅓ frames. The righty also pitched 46⅓ innings in Triple-A this year with 50 strikeouts and a 4.66 ERA.
Burke notes that Patton is known to get along well with teammates, which could help him find another opportunity elsewhere in the league.
AN wishes all the best to Cody Thomas and Spencer Patton in their future endeavors.
- Oakland Athletics 2023 mid-season community prospect list: Final Results
- After trying season, A’s baseball leadership looks to build on incremental improvements ($)
- Two A’s Minor Leaguers Elect Free Agency
- Oakland A’s manager Mark Kotsay addresses his future, potential opportunity with the Giants ($)
- Hoping to hit way into ‘New Oakland,’ Muncy has strong Fall League debut
MLB News & Interest:
- 6 storylines to watch during 2023 MLB playoffs
- 2023 MLB Playoffs: Who has the easiest path to the World Series?
- MLB Playoff Tiers: The favorites, the sleeper picks and everything in between ($)
- Rosenthal: Major questions for the MLB playoffs and a doomed World Series prediction ($)
- Rays draw smallest MLB postseason crowd since 1919 in loss to Rangers ($)
- Mariners Leadership Discusses Offseason Plans, Injury Updates, Coaching Staff
- Perry Minasian Discusses Ohtani, Payroll, Nevin
- Jed Hoyer On Bellinger, Hendricks, Ross
- AL Postseason Injury Notes: Buxton, Raley, Hernández
- Joey Votto Remains Unsure If He’ll Play In 2024
- Today in Baseball History
Best of X:
Imagine having these guys on your squad.
Free agency for Thomas, Patton.
OF Cody Thomas & RHP Spencer Patton have chosen to become free agents. There will be many more minor league free agents after the end of the World Series. Current offseason rosters for all A's affiliates as well as A's current 40-man roster here... https://t.co/JnGcJXYcr4— Athletics Farm (@AthleticsFarm) October 3, 2023
Muncy off to a great start in AFL.
Max Muncy required just one pitch to make his impact felt in the @MLBazFallLeague.— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) October 3, 2023
The seventh-ranked @Athletics prospect started off with a homer in a four-hit game on Opening Day: https://t.co/Vp2qYZtYHm pic.twitter.com/ALTkXJ6K9h
It was a good day.
Peterson in on the postseason.
Due to injury, Jake McCarthy will be replaced by Jace Peterson on Arizona’s roster.— Jessica Kleinschmidt (@KleinschmidtJD) October 3, 2023