Happy Wednesday, Athletics Nation!
However you may feel about the overall quality of returns the A’s front office reeled in for the likes of Matt Olson and Frankie Montas, the A’s have brought in a lot of prospects since their full rebuild began after the 2021 season. Melissa Lockard at The Athletic sat down for a lengthy interview with A’s assistant general manager Billy Owens, and the first of two installments was published on the website yesterday.
Owens discussed a number of prospects, including those acquired for Montas and Olson as well as some others that are considered the team’s most promising, among them fourth ranked prospect Zack Gelof. Owens praised Gelof as “a DUDE to the millionth degree,” with “talent that will translate to the top level in numerous ways,” and went on to describe the A’s second round pick in 2021 as a “more powerful, faster Mark Canha.”
Owens also shared some thoughts on Cristian Pache, the talented young center fielder who has struggled mightily at the plate with the A’s: “Unbelievable how his defensive game can be so advanced, while his offensive technique is elementary.” Owens says patience will be essential with Pache’s growth as a hitter, as “The light at the end of the tunnel ... may come well after his 25th birthday.”
Owens had a good deal more to say about Gelof and Pache along with well over a dozen other prospects, including Shea Langeliers, Ken Waldichuk, JP Sears, Adrían Martínez, Nick Allen, Tyler Soderstrom, and Logan Davidson. Be sure to check it out if you can!
Feel free to comment below on which of these youngsters you think will pan out in the post-Fisher Howard Terminal era of A’s baseball. Yeah, there’s a little leap of hope there to get your hump day going!
- Brener: Series preview: A’s travel to Texas, face Rangers in quick two-game set
- Kawahara: Mathias caps big night with HR in 9th as Rangers edge A’s ($)
- Lockard: A’s assistant GM Billy Owens on Zack Gelof’s ceiling, the Matt Olson trade and more ($)
- Razo: Garcia’s adjustments pay off with power on display vs. Rangers
- Franco: Outrights: Aguilar, Beaty, Garcia, Barrera
MLB News & Interest:
- Stark: Joey Votto loves the MLB rule changes: Reds star talks baseball’s future and his own ($)
- Martin: Aaron Judge belts 56th, 57th homers as Yankees beat Red Sox in 10
- Franco: Red Sox Designate Jeurys Familia For Assignment
- Shea: Giants option out Zack Littell day after mound incident with Gabe Kapler ($)
- Lin: In Padres’ dramatic season, Bob Melvin has made communication a constant ($)
- Lewis: The Legend of Country Breakfast: Tales from Billy Butler’s time with the Royals ($)
- Franco: Rays Place Brandon Lowe On Injured List
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter:
Sodie closing in on a hundski.
Tyler had 1 RBI tonight so 4 to go.— Melissa Lockard (@melissalockard) September 14, 2022
RHP Collin Wiles to A’s, RHP Domingo Tapia DFA’d, RHP Brent Honeywell & OF Luis Barrera cleared waivers/sent to LV, OF Conner Capel claimed off waivers/sent to LV, LHP Zach Logue to LV, LAN OF Lazaro Armenteros off suspension, LAN 1B Patrick McColl retiredhttps://t.co/joKXkyUAPy— Athletics Farm (@AthleticsFarm) September 13, 2022
There are longballs, and there are really longballs...
Happy Birthday to fan artist @GuySliwinski!
MADE IT ANOTHER YEAR— Guy Sliwinski (@GuySliwinski) September 13, 2022
It’s my birthday today & wanted to thank everyone for the love today! I gotta give back!
for 20% off your order today and tomorrow. Buying yourself a gift is like buying me one too! Remixed & never before available art just added too! pic.twitter.com/0N7eOGDiK0
It didn’t happen.