Happy Tuesday, Athletics Nation!
While we are awaiting the BCDC vote this Thursday that is the next big hurdle to clear for the Howard Terminal ballpark project (and things are looking good!), the A’s and MLB have still been working on the oft brought up parallel path for the Athletics to move to Las Vegas if the Oakland park is untenable. Vegas talks have been generally quiet for the last bit, mostly since the Nevada state government made it clear that they did not want to help fund ballpark construction. Yesterday, word came out that MLB would offer an extra boon to the A’s if they leave Oakland.
Reporting for the New York Post, Josh Kosman brought forth the news that MLB has offered the A’s a special deal: if the team moves to Las Vegas they would not have to pay the usual relocation fee. The expectation currently is that the fee would be over one billion dollars, making this a huge get for penny-pinching A’s ownership. With the Athletics going through a two decade-long process to sort out a new stadium in the Bay Area there is hopefully an end in sight before November’s municipal election, but things aren’t set in stone yet.
If all goes well with outcome of the Howard Terminal process there could still be use for the development put into Vegas by the A’s. According to Mick Ackers of the Las Vegas Review Journal, the A’s have currently narrowed their Vegas options down to two sites, though they still face a lack of funding from the Nevada government.
Having a site ready for stadium development, and having it potentially owned or earmarked by an MLB team, means that Las Vegas is primed to be an expansion city if the A’s manage to stay in Oakland. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred has stated that expansion will happen once the A’s and Rays’ stadiums are settled, and Vegas has become a hot sports market with the addition of NHL’s Golden Knights and the move of the NFL’s Raiders from Oakland to Nevada. The lack of a relocation fee is a nice contingency for MLB, as even if the A’s were to move to Vegas it would just help fast track the timeline for expansion in two other cities and a pair of $2.2B expansion fees to get paid to the league.
MLB seems ready to get a team in Las Vegas one way or another, but if all goes well with Howard Terminal the removal of a relocation fee will be moot. Check back on Thursday to see the results of the BCDC vote and the next steps for the Athletics new home.
- Ashford: Game #75: A’s drop series opener, fall 9-5 to Yankees
- Kosman: MLB would give Oakland rare break on fees if team moves to Las Vegas
- Ackers: MLB won’t charge Oakland A’s relocation fee if team moves to Vegas
- Lockard: Jordan Díaz and the Oakland A’s mid-season minor-league All-Stars ($)
- He: Murphy’s two catcher’s interference calls cost A’s in bad loss
- Kawahara: A’s find new way to lose as catcher’s interference calls fuel Yankees’ six-run inning ($)
- Wilson: 2 starting pitchers the Yankees could be targeting at the trade deadline (Montas discussed)
- Kawahara: Former A’s minor-leaguer embraces his better future as Yankees’ bullpen catcher ($)
MLB News & Interest
- Brock: Mariners feel ‘classless’ retribution sparked brawl with Angels on Sunday ($)
- Dodd, Jenks: Max Scherzer’s former catchers on his intensity, hilarity, and the Legend of Mad Max ($)
- Shusterman: Rafael Devers has earned extension from Red Sox
- Nesbitt: How Jesse Winker’s ejection led to autographs, pizza, and the tip of a lifetime ($)
- Clemens: Are Returning Pitchers Throwing Harder?
- Lee: Manny, Pedro and Papi’s kids are on the same team!? Meet ‘The Sons’ of the Brockton Rox
- Jaffe: Bryce Harper’s Broken Thumb Could Derail Phillies’ Comeback
- Gleeman, Hayes: Twins pitching coach Wes Johnson leaves abruptly for same job, big raise at LSU ($)
- Foolish Baseball: What Bad Umpiring Looks Like (video)
- Creamer: 2022 MLB All-Star Game Cap Design Gives All 30 Teams the Gold
- Lukas: Our Latest Flag Project: The MLB Parade of Nations
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter
A’s minors just squeaking into the better half of whiff rates
Hitter swing and miss rates this season by organization (LowA ➡️ AAA). Mets, Reds, and Giants hitters with the highest whiff rates... pic.twitter.com/5PkoF6ndKP— Down on the Farm (@downonthefarm12) June 27, 2022
Former Athletic, and Tigers favourite Willie Horton will assist Dusty Baker as an honorary All-Star Game coach
MLB announces coaches, trainers for next month's All-Star Game: pic.twitter.com/YKZTyAB5bp— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) June 27, 2022
Replacing the apostrophe in the A’s logo with the star makes their All-Star hat look way more cohesive than most other teams
Here's a look at all 30 #MLB team cap designs for the upcoming 2022 MLB All-Star Game to be played at Dodger Stadium on July 19.— Chris Creamer (@sportslogosnet) June 27, 2022
More details, pics, and how to buy one in my story here: https://t.co/qzAEfHV9Bc pic.twitter.com/uhZYq4PwM2
Stephen Piscotty’s return is imminent
Stephen Piscotty will meet the A's in New York tomorrow, team will decide when to activate him (not necessarily tomorrow), Mark Kotsay said.— Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara) June 27, 2022
Congrats to Austin Allen on being named PCL Player of the Week!
Minor League Baseball announced Austin Allen as the PCL Player of the Week Allen appeared in four games against ABQ and batted .600 with three doubles, two home runs and 7 RBI— Las Vegas Aviators (@AviatorsLV) June 27, 2022
Read more: https://t.co/Bwyl393FRL pic.twitter.com/5wngBN61oR
BCDC Executive Director Danny Wan on Thursday’s BCDC vote