Happy Friday, Athletics Nation!
The A’s pitching depth has reached a spillover point. As of Thursday, there are 21 pitchers on the 40-man roster and eight starters on the depth chart—and if you squint hard enough, you might see a legit number three in that rotation depth chart chock full of fours, fives, and sixes. But hopefully a few of the A’s new pitching prospects will develop into something special.
Connor Ashford dished the deets on the A’s latest signing of starter Drew Rucinski, so you can catch up on that development right here at AN. To make room for Rucinski, the A’s also designated starter Zach Logue for assignment. Per Darragh McDonald at MLB Trade Rumors, the A’s have until December 28 to trade the 26-year-old righty or pass him through waivers.
Logue was part of the A’s “haul” from the Blue Jays for Matt Chapman last offseason. He’d shown promise in the minors, but posted a 6.79 ERA in 14 appearances with the A’s, then fared even worse—with an ERA of 8.12—in Triple-A with the Aviators.
- Logue, MLB 2022: 6.79 ERA, 57 IP, 42 K, 20 BB, 20 HR, 5.76 FIP, 5.32 xFIP
Soon we’ll find out if the A’s can pull anything in trade for Logue, if another team claims him off waivers, or if he clears waivers and stays in the Athletics organization. My gut tells me it is not a matter of extreme consequence, but I’d have said the same of Paul Blackburn not too long ago—such is the unpredictable beauty of baseball.
Have a magical holiday, AN.
- Ashford: A’s sign Drew Rucinski
- McDonald: A’s Designate Zach Logue For Assignment
- Franco: Angels, Luis Barrera Agree To Minor League Deal
MLB News & Interest:
- Rosenthal: How did Mets and Carlos Correa land at 12 years, $315 million? ($)
- Franco: Trevor Bauer’s Suspension Reduced To 194 Games; Bauer Reinstated, Effective Immediately
- Adams and McDonald: Red Sox Release Eric Hosmer
- Franco: Angels Sign Jake Lamb, Jhonathan Diaz To Minor League Deals
- Franco: Red Sox, Marlins Have Discussed Joey Wendle In Trade Talks
- McDonald and Franco: Carlos Correa Taking Physical With Mets Today
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter:
A'S MOVES: A’s sign RHPs Drew Rucinski & Trevor May, LHP Zach Logue DFA’d, LHPs Jake Fishman & Garrett Williams signed MiLB deals/sent to LV, IF Vimael Machin cleared waivers/elects free agency, OF Cody Thomas & Ernie Clement cleared waivers/sent to LV… https://t.co/joKXkzbDRy— Athletics Farm (@AthleticsFarm) December 22, 2022
HBD Scott Emerson!
Happy birthday to our pitching coach, Scott Emerson! pic.twitter.com/xkQziXwIHL— Oakland A's (@Athletics) December 22, 2022
Two travelers on the bus to last place: pic.twitter.com/uUkdpC33J1— Hal the Hot Dog Guy (@AsHotDog) December 22, 2022
Kudos to a true Community Champion.
Congratulations to our next Community Champion, Mary Spicer! Mary leads a non-profit dedicated to doing trash cleanups in the Oakland estuary. Her events clean up nearly 6,000 lbs of trash out of the estuary two or more times a year.— Oakland A's (@Athletics) December 22, 2022
Learn more: https://t.co/egmd9xcQtk pic.twitter.com/O8AoCWX5HZ
I wish I got more gigs like this!
Dog sitting Olive while my daughter and son in law go to Virginia for the holidays pic.twitter.com/ZK6nXZIJP0— Vince Cotroneo (@vincebaseball) December 22, 2022
Mets outspending nearest rivals by nearly 100 percent.