Welcome to Opening Day of the 2021 MLB season!
Catch up with all of today’s news with these links:
- A’s Opening Day roster
- How to watch Opening Day: Time, TV schedule, radio, online streaming
- Chris Bassitt named A’s Opening Day starter for 2021
- Why the A’s might be even better in 2021 than they were last year
- A’s place Trevor Rosenthal and Mike Fiers on injured list
- A’s add Reymin Guduan to 40-man roster, DFA Skye Bolt
- Cole Irvin gets A’s fifth starter spot
- Chad Pinder, 2021 breakout candidate
- AL West offseason roundup: Every move by all 5 teams entering 2021
The A’s start with Chris Bassitt on the mound, looking to build on his breakout 2020 campaign. He goes against Zack Greinke of the Astros, still humming as one of the better pitchers in the sport at age 37.
Oakland’s lineup features a few newcomers, including shortstop Elvis Andrus, DH Mitch Moreland, and the return of 2B Jed Lowrie. Breakout candidate Chad Pinder is in RF, one of many positions he’ll surely play this season, and Mark Canha is batting leadoff in the absence of departed free agent Marcus Semien.
Meanwhile, Houston is now without star outfielder George Springer, who bolted to Toronto as a free agent. They do get back DH Yordan Alvarez, who missed almost all of 2020, and they also retained All-Star outfielder Michael Brantley on a new free agent contract.
A’s lineup (home)
- LF Mark Canha (R)
- CF Ramon Laureano (R)
- 1B Matt Olson (L)
- 3B Matt Chapman (R)
- DH Mitch Moreland (L)
- 2B Jed Lowrie (S)
- C Sean Murphy (R)
- RF Chad Pinder (R)
- SS Elvis Andrus (R)
- RHP Chris Bassitt
It’s official, Jed Lowrie is back on the Oakland A’s for a third stint.
Astros lineup (away)
- 2B Jose Altuve (R)
- LF Michael Brantley (L)
- 3B Alex Bregman (R)
- RF Kyle Tucker (L)
- SS Carlos Correa (R)
- DH Yordan Alvarez (L)
- 1B Yuli Gurriel (R)
- CF Myles Straw (R)
- C Martin Maldonado (R)
- RHP Zack Greinke
Let’s Go Oakland!