Good morning, Athletics Nation!
The 2020 MLB trade deadline is later than normal due to the unusual summer schedule. It’s coming Aug. 31, which is next Monday. Teams aren’t waiting to get started, though, as there have already been three notable deals around the league. (Click links for full stories.)
- On Thursday, the Seattle Mariners sent RHP Taijuan Walker to the Toronto Blue Jays for a player to be named later
- Later Thursday, the Kansas City Royals sent OF Brett Phillips to the Tampa Bay Rays for minor league prospect Lucius Fox
- Friday morning, the Pittsburgh Pirates sent OF Jarrod Dyson to the Chicago White Sox for international bonus money
The Blue Jays in particular expect to be “extremely active” on the trade market, reports Scott Mitchell of TSN, with the caveat that activity doesn’t always result in actual deals being completed. They now have a rotation that features Hyun-jin Ryu, Tanner Roark, and Chase Anderson, along with Walker (4.00 ERA, 4.98 FIP in five starts for Seattle).
Reposting from yesterday’s Rumblings, here are stories on the San Diego Padres (Kevin Acee, San Diego Tribune) and Arizona Diamondbacks (Nick Piecoro, Arizona Republic).
It stands to reason that teams would get moving early in their dealings. Every game counts 2.7 times more than we’re used to in a full season, so even a five-day head start brings two extra weeks of relative value. Plus, there’s less than a month of regular season left after the deadline passes, so in whatever terms you want to look at the value of time, the opportunity is limited to get anything out of whatever price you pay. The clock is ticking faster than ever.
The Oakland A’s are yet to be involved in any serious rumors, but as a contending team you’d have to expect they’re at least sniffing around to see what might be out there. We’ll start exploring some possible options on Athletics Nation over the next few days. What do you think the A’s should do, and who are your favorite targets? (Remember to visit Baseball Trade Values when you need a tool for speculating on potential deals!)
- Slusser: A’s decide to postpone Thursday’s game at Texas to protest racial injustice ($)
- A’s postpone Thursday game to raise awareness after Jacob Blake police shooting
MLB News & Interest
- Davidi: Blue Jays acquisition Walker brings ‘complete’ arsenal to injured rotation
- Russell: Rays acquire OF Brett Phillips, trade SS Lucius Fox to Royals
- Stephen: Walker Buehler placed on injured list with blister on his right hand
- Polishuk (roundup): Diamondbacks Designate Matt Grace For Assignment
- Polishuk (roundup): Latest On Mets Video Incident, Apologies From Brodie Van Wagenen & Mets Ownership
- Today in Baseball History
Yesterday’s Game Highlights
Thursday: No game, while we all took a day to reflect on more important events going on in our country. Thank you for participating in our discussion thread yesterday.
Best of Twitter
Discussions ongoing, but you’d have to image we end up getting some form of this bubble
MLB has sent a proposal to the union about playing the postseason in a bubble-type environment. It is not finalized yet if that would be the whole postseason including the best 2-of-3 round. @Ken_Rosenthal reported on this 1st— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) August 26, 2020
Still got a couple games left with the Rockies, so here’s their latest move
The Rockies announced today that they have signed LHP Zac Rosscup to a Minor League contract and have added him to the 60-man player pool.— Rockies Club Information (@RockiesClubInfo) August 27, 2020