We’ve arrived at Day 2 of the 2020 MLB draft. Things are a little different this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, with the whole draft lasting only five total rounds rather than the usual 40, and the 1st round was held on Wednesday. That means Day 2 brings only four more rounds, and there is no Day 3.
The Oakland A’s have four picks on Thursday, one in each of Rounds 2-5. In the 1st round yesterday they selected Tyler Soderstrom, a high school catcher out of nearby Turlock. Below we’ll track the upcoming picks as they happen, with links to our full coverage of each.
- Round 1 (No. 26): Tyler Soderstrom, C, high school (CA) (full coverage)
- Round 2 (No. 58): Jeff Criswell, RHP, Michigan (full coverage)
- Round 3 (No. 98): Michael Guldberg, OF, Georgia Tech (full coverage)
- Round 4 (No. 127): Dane Acker, RHP, Oklahoma (full coverage)
- Round 5 (No. 157): Stevie Emanuels, RHP, Washington (full coverage)
The draft is televised, with two channels to choose from: MLB Network, or ESPN2. The whole thing is scheduled to go from 2-8 p.m. PT, so it will take about six hours to get through the 123 picks. The A’s first two picks will probably come around 3:00 and 5:00, respectively.
For more info, here is a list of resources to help you follow along, including live results, scouting reports on the top available players, and a look at the A’s current farm system via our 2020 Community Prospect List:
- Live Draft Tracker at MLB’s official site
- Top 200 draft prospects via MLB Pipeline
- Top 230 draft prospects via FanGraphs
- AN Community Prospect List Top 31
We haven’t gotten to watch any baseball this year, but at least the draft is something to cheer for. Let’s go Oakland!