Good morning, Athletics Nation! As discussed in yesterday’s edition, I’m experimenting with the layout of these Rumblings posts. After reading the feedback in the comments, I’ve made a couple changes:
- The Best of AN section is just rolled into the A’s coverage.
- The MLB News and Baseball Interest sections are combined, and will be much shorter overall. (A lot of what I’m cutting is original columns from MLB-dot-com and MLB Trade Rumors, but you know where to find those two sites if you miss that content.)
- Today In Baseball History is now just the link to that day’s Baseball-Reference page (the link was already there, I’m just not picking out any highlights to include here). The link will be the last spot in the MLB News & Interest section.
Let’s try this new streamlined version on for size and see how we like it. We can always keep tinkering with it down the road.
In another programming note, you may have noticed that I stopped doing the 1970s World Series Game Threads. There were two reasons. First, once we switched from the NBCS broadcasts to the YouTube videos, simply the community appeared to lose interest, which is fine — not every idea catches on and this one was kind of a long-shot to begin with. Secondly, from last Thu-Sun the whole California staff was helping with NFL draft coverage, and I wasn’t able to keep up with the daily viewing schedule that I’d planned out.
However, I’m still planning to watch and recap several of those old games. It just won’t be on the overly ambitious schedule I was hoping for. Look for some more Retro Recaps coming soon, though!
- Athletics’ Khris Davis Ready to Ditch `Khrush’ Nickname
- Gallegos: Athletics’ Top 5 left fielders: Gallegos’ take
- Kleinschmidt: A’s Ramón Laureano stoked for friend becoming youngest minor-league coach
- Slusser: A’s Gone By: Personal heartbreak, professional triumph for Landon Powell ($)
- Lockard: Zoom calls and video work: How the A’s and Giants are preparing for the draft ($$$)
- Hall: Yesterday in Oakland A’s history (4/26): First game in franchise history
MLB News & Interest:
- Passan: There will be MLB in 2020. It’s just a matter of when, where and how
- Yoo and Shin: ESPN nearing deal to broadcast S. Korean baseball games
- Hickey: This Pandemic Lockdown is Unique for MLB, but not Unprecedented
- Edwards: A-Rod, J-Lo and the Mets Ownership Possibilities
- Crawford: 2014 MLB Redraft (look for a couple current A’s high on the list!)
- Leitch: The harmless practical joke that changed baseball
- Harrigan: MLB’s most valuable position is ... first base?
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter:
A little taste of the Coliseum while we’re stuck at home
Payback from the previous day
Austin Allen had 18 RBI
In case you ever wanted to see the boxscore for an 83-5 game with a 40-run inning, check out this Las Vegas-Tacoma one from our OOTP league. Austin Allen had 18(!) RBI. h/t @GrantBrisbee : https://t.co/0gC3lhzD9q— Melissa Lockard (@melissalockard) April 27, 2020
Checking in with Finn, the Las Vegas Aviators’ bat dog
Me and my sister both killin time on a ball in the pool today. pic.twitter.com/kiZetjR2Y9— Finn The Bat Dog (@finnthebatdog) April 27, 2020
Scully doing alright after falling at home