- Slusser: Former A’s starter Dave Stewart tested for coronavirus; ‘I’m not worried’
- Kleinschmidt: Where A’s position battled stood before spring training was canceled
- Hickey: The Challenge of Figuring Out When Sports Will Be Sports Again
- Hill: Sheldon Neuse will see his time come soon enough
- Slusser: A’s mailbag: Contract issues post-shutdown, roster possibilities and more
- Hickey: A Tribute to Tom Brady: A History of A’s Sixth-Round Draft Picks
- Polishuk: MLB Announces “Interim Support” Plan To Pay Minor League Players
- Cooper: Coronavirus Pandemic Creates ‘Disaster Situation’ For Some MiLB Teams
- Torres and DiGiovanna: Fired Angels employee Bubba Harkins sold ‘Go Go Juice’ that pitchers put on baseballs
- Pavlovic: Giants pitcher Tyler Beede to undergo Tommy John surgery Friday
- Browne: Chris Sale to undergo Tommy John surgery
- Polishuk: Astros Release Jared Hughes
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Schoenfield: Greatest nicknames of all time
- Callis, Mayo, and Rosenbaum: These Prospects Impressed in Spring Training
- Buchanan: The ballad of Edwin Jackson, baseball’s ultimate nomad ($$$)
- Rubenstein and Bois: Dorktown: The year Caleb Joseph couldn’t drive in a run to save his life
- Leitch: Bash Brothers and 100 steals: 1987 was wild
- 1871 - The National Association of Professional Base Ball Players is founded, setting the stage for the future National League in 1876. The entry fee for a National Association franchise is set at $10.
- 1911 - Plumbers at work on the drain pipes at Washington’s Griffith Stadium start a fire that burns down the grandstand. Since the water has been shut off, firemen can do nothing. Stands will be rebuilt to play the home opener on schedule.
- 1966 - Pitchers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale play hardball when negotiating with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The duo signs movie contracts showing they are serious about retiring from baseball if their salary demands are not met.
- 1990 - The first game in the history of the Chinese Professional Baseball League is played. The President Lions top the Brother Elephants, 4 - 3. Fu-Ming Tu gets the win and Yung-Tai Sung the first hit. Enrique Burgos notches the first save.
- 2015 - Agent Scott Boras lashes out at the Cubs, convinced that they want to send the hottest prospect in baseball, 3B Kris Bryant, to the minor leagues to start the season. Boras is convinced this is simply a cost-cutting move that makes no sense if the Cubs really want to win. Fans are also clamoring to see Bryant make the team, given he’s leading all players with 6 homers in spring training games so far. However, team President Theo Epstein explains that he is concerned that Bryant needs more work on his defense before he’s ready for the Show.
Best of Twitter:
If society survives, the next WBC is scheduled for 2021...
Another cool read for y’all...
Think there’s no baseball on the radio? Think again.— AP Sports (@AP_Sports) March 20, 2020
“O’Toole From Moscow,” a long-lost comedy Rod Serling wrote about the national pastime, is on deck. Yes, the Rod Serling of “The Twilight Zone." Turns out, he loved baseball. https://t.co/uV9SoBkRI6
Reminder that A’s podcasts are still soldiering on...
Inside the journey: how Mark Canha became an everyday player after humble beginnings.— A's Cast (@athleticscast24) March 19, 2020
The Path: Chasing the MLB Dream featuring Mark Canha is now airing on A’s Cast.
The episode is also available on-demand at https://t.co/4vzwJ35uEm pic.twitter.com/78RQPccODs
Great hype vid about last year...