UPDATE - MLB Schedule Suspension:
Passan with the Tweet...
BREAKING: Major League Baseball has officially suspended spring-training games and will delay the start of the regular season by at least two weeks.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 12, 2020
- Crowley and Rubin: A’s season-opening series in doubt; Bay Bridge games with Giants will move or be canceled amid coronavirus bans
- Gallegos: A’s looking at alternatives to March home games
- Hill: It is time to extend Matt Olson
- Brazil: Jesus Luzardo Q&A: A’s phenom talks this season’s tight-knit clubhouse
- Sheehan: Oakland A’s Season Preview: Can They Finally Make a Deep October Run?
- Passan: MLB hopeful, but bracing for disruptions
- Lacques and Nightengale: ‘Have to do what’s right for our home city’: Mariners face uncertainty as opening games moved from Seattle
- Calcaterra: MLBPA issues statement about coronavirus response
- Adams: Cardinals, Yadier Molina Discussing Extension
- MLB.com: Injury updates: Yanks, Conforto, Encarnación
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Greene: Baseball as Panopticon (great, long read exploring the COVID-19 impact on baseball)
- WBUR: April 17, 1979: The Night Only 250 Fans Showed Up In Oakland
- Bowman: Donaldson did ‘what was right for me’
- Monagan: The wild story of how the Cactus League came to be
Coronavirus (COVID-19) News:
- Coronavirus: COVID-19 Is Now Officially A Pandemic, WHO Says
- Calcaterra: Japanese leagues to play spring training games in empty ballparks over coronavirus fears
- Kussoy: March Madness 2020 will be played without fans because of coronavirus
- Johnson: NBA Suspends Games Until ‘Further Notice’ Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
- Harrington: NHL ‘evaluating the options’ after NBA’s decision to suspend season
- Marsden and Faez: La Liga suspended over coronavirus after Real Madrid players quarantined
- 1921 - Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis suspends eight members of the Chicago White Sox for their alleged involvement in the fixing of the 1919 World Series. The group includes outfielder Joe Jackson, who batted .375 in the Series. Others banned are Eddie Cicotte, Happy Felsch, Chick Gandil, Fred McMullin, Swede Risberg, Buck Weaver and Lefty Williams. None of them will ever play in organized baseball again.
- 2012 - New Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is already in mid-season form. He gets ejected in the 6th inning of an otherwise placid Grapefruit League game against the Red Sox for arguing a foul ball call with umpire Tim Timmons.
Best of Twitter:
Jeff Passan is a good one to follow for updates on MLB response to coronavirus...
MLB has a league-wide conference call scheduled for Friday, sources told ESPN. Considering how things in other leagues are changing seemingly by the hour, baseball’s tack could be different. One thing baseball has that others don’t: time, as opening day isn’t until March 26.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 12, 2020
Back to, you know, actual baseball, cool visual of Sean Manaea tunneling ...
Sean Manaea, 91mph Fastball and 79mph Slider, Overlay (w/ tails) pic.twitter.com/9mT0N6BxBr— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) October 2, 2019
Update from Kaval on the new stadium EIR report...
Neat retweet from Susan Slusser...