Editor’s Note: Hi AN! This is your friendly, local Ciderbeck reporting for duty to shore up the content ranks here on the blog. Vox is still in hiring mode, working at pace we’re more used to seeing during an A’s - Mariners contest (so, so slow.). Nico’s called me up from the bench to help our handicapped Front Page team with content while we wait for the Vox situation to come to a resolution. Will pitch in where I can, starting with a rare evening edition of the Elephant Rumblings. Enjoy!
- Arkins: Oakland Athletics Offseason Review
- Brazil: Marcus Semien Q&A: A’s shortstop talks dream car, must-have walk-up song
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Leitch: Who’s the best OD starter? We rank all 30
- Simon: Defenders that improved the most in 2019
- Clemens: The Biggest Holes on Contending Teams, Part One: The Infield
- Davidoff: How MLB should approach controversial rule change
- 1893 - The first recorded version of Casey at the Bat, as recited by Russell Hunting, hits the music charts. DeWolf Hopper’s more famous version will not be released until October 1906.
- 1991 - The 12 members of the board of directors of the Hall of Fame vote unanimously to ban Pete Rose from the ballot. Rose will become eligible again only if the commissioner reinstates him by December, 2005 - which will not happen.
- 2013 —The Athletics acquire IF Jed Lowrie and reliever Francisco Rodriguez from Houston in return for OF/1B Chris Carter, P Brad Peacock and C Max Stassi.