- Alvarez: ‘We know we have it’: Oakland A’s Matt Olson talks 2020 season, World Series aspirations
- Gallegos: Montas dominant in brief spring debut
- Bair: Why A’s closer Liam Hendriks refuses to let himself feel comfortable
- Kleinschmidt: A’s roster analysis: Examining position battles before MLB Opening Day
- Gallegos: Notes: Manaea’s slider; Hendriks’ delivery
- Gallegos: Melvin on Barrera: ‘He’s swinging the bat well’
- Borek: Khrush focused on ‘20 season, turns page on ‘19
- Slusser: Now firmly in rotation, A’s Frankie Montas looks good in quick spring debut ($)
- Childs: 2020 Fantasy Baseball: Oakland Athletics Team Preview
- McCalvy and Kelly: 5-year extension for Brewers’ Peralta
- Hoch: Opening Day in jeopardy for Stanton (calf strain)
- AP: Virus Forces Japan Baseball to Ban Fans From Preseason Games
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Zimmerman: Mining the News (2/26/20)
- Slusser: Ex-GM Sandy Alderson on legalities of Astros’ cheating; A’s steroid past
- DiComo: Tebow to represent Philippines in 2021 WBC
- Clair: The story behind 75-year-old Appling’s home run
- 1895 - Responding to the complaints of senior citizens like Cap Anson, the National League restricts the size of gloves for all fielders, save catchers and first basemen, to 10 ounces, with a maximum circumference of 14 inches around the palm. In other words, less than 4 1/2 inches across. The NL also rescinds the rule forbidding “intentional discoloring” of the ball, thus allowing players to dirty the baseball to their satisfaction.
- 2012 - The A’s get some bad news when tests on the injured knee of 3B Scott Sizemore reveal a torn ligament, leaving the team without its starter at the hot corner for the entire season. He will undergo surgery once the swelling in his knee subsides.
- 2018 - The MLBPA files a grievance against four teams - the Marlins, Rays, Pirates and A’s - accusing them of not investing the money they are obtaining through revenue sharing in the on-field product, as is specified in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This action is the latest salvo in a war of words between players and ownership that was started by the slow free agent market, resulting in over 100 players still being unsigned when spring training opened two weeks ago.
Best of YouTube:
It’s Spring Training for umps too ya know...
Best of Twitter:
Good cause, thoughts on the design?...
Caps for the community— Oakland A's (@Athletics) February 26, 2020
Manor Phoenix has created an exclusive A's cactus snapback hat to be sold at A's home Spring Training games with proceeds benefiting the AZ A's Community Fund. Limited quantities will be available after the first inning at Guest Services. pic.twitter.com/JMxBmqlf6p
Check-in on logos in Mushroom Kingdom...
In Mario Superstar Baseball, every captain has four possible team names and logos: one default, one when most of the team members match the captain's type, and two special ones only used when the team includes four particular players. Below are all logos with their requirements. pic.twitter.com/5CIlQOlQ5j— Supper Mario Broth (@MarioBrothBlog) February 9, 2020