- Slusser: A’s Daniel Mengden has elbow cleanup procedure ($)
- Kleinschmidt: How A’s could benefit from possible future changes to MLB postseason
- Rubin: ‘I felt like I was raising a baseball dog’: on the father-coach bond between Stephen and Mike Piscotty ($)
- Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist
- Monagan: Manny Ramirez might be playing baseball in ... Italy
- Vautour: East Longmeadow’s Nick Ahmed signs Diamondbacks’ extension for $32.5 million over 4 years
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Shafer: Betting Pick for Every MLB Team’s Over/Under Win Total Before Spring Training
- Romano: All the Rays exes live in Texas. And Boston. And Los Angeles. ($)
- Posnanski: The Baseball 100: Number 46, Eddie Mathews ($$$)
- 1937 - Philadelphia Athletics owner Connie Mack is interviewed by Boake Carter, one of the most famous journalists of the period, in a television demonstration by the Philco company to display its new technology. It is the first-ever baseball interview on television, although the audience consists only of selected guests at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, a few miles away from Philco’s studio.
- 1997 - General Mills, the makers of Wheaties breakfast cereals, unveil three new Jackie Robinson boxes to be sold in stores nationwide. Robinson will be the first athlete to be honored on all three varieties of Wheaties: Original Wheaties, Honey Frosted Wheaties, and Crispy Wheaties ‘n’ Raisins.
- 2019 - Kyler Murray, the 9th overall pick in the 2018 amateur draft by the Oakland A’s, announces that he is giving up baseball to concentrate on becoming an NFL quarterback.
Best of Twitter:
Zito going 12-6 was pure art...
Curveballs (home plate view).— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) February 10, 2020
Koufax, Zito, Gooden, Blyleven, Ryan, Strasburg, Kershaw and Pedro. pic.twitter.com/9neeXqJDZN
Matt Chapman is marketable, just sayin’...
MLB: “how can we grow as a sport?”— Matt Klug (@MattKlug33) February 10, 2020
Fans: “Trout is the greatest player ever, so you could market h-“
MLB: “the games HAVE to be shorter!”
Fans: “well no, we just want the players to be market-“
MLB: “robot umps would be cool?”
Fans: “no, just-“
MLB: “PLAYOFF EXPANSION!!!!”
Not bad, cod do batter...
Ok, weeks ago I wrote a story that (I'm paraphrasing) said it was stupid they were gonna call the team the Mackerel, since mackerel don't get fished here, yet everyone knows sturgeon do. Well, I'm humbled and honored to report the team took my suggestion: https://t.co/DX4zMPblgy— Nate Gartrell (@NateGartrell) February 11, 2020