morning afternoon evening, Athletics Nation!
The MLB offseason has only just begun, and several teams are in the process of filling out administrative and coaching vacancies. The White Sox, Red Sox, and Tigers all hired new managers, several coaches found new homes across the league, and the Angels chose a new general manager.
Friday morning brought the latest hiring, and it’s a historic one. The Miami Marlins announced Kim Ng as their new GM, making her the first female to hold that position in not only MLB history but in any of the four major U.S. men’s sports. She’s also the second person of Asian descent to be a GM in the majors, after Farhan Zaidi.
Ng’s experience includes stints as the assistant GM for the Yankees and the Dodgers (for which she has three World Series rings with New York), plus nearly a decade as MLB’s Senior VP of Baseball Ops.
The response to Ng’s hiring from around baseball media was overwhelmingly positive, both in terms of how much she personally deserved a GM job as well as seeing another female barrier broken.
An entire sport is rejoicing. Virtually everyone in baseball thinks Kim Ng, former assistant GM of Yankees and Dodgers, is a great choice to run the Marlins. A‘ s assistant GM Billy Owens: “Kim is an AWESOME hire! Truly pumped to hear the news. Groundbreaking and well-deserved.”— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 13, 2020
A few more Ng links, from MLB’s site:
- Anne Rogers relayed reactions from other women in the baseball world, including Giants coach Alyssa Nakken, the first female full-time coach on an MLB staff.
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman offered a glowing report of his former AGM, per insider David Adler.
- Sarah Langs rounds up everything you need to know about Ng.
- Adler and Andrew Simon recount other female pioneers in baseball history.
In other GM news, the Mets and Phillies are still searching for someone to fill their vacancies at that position.
- AN: A’s 2021 ZiPS projections offer reminder of strong core, but also areas of need
- AN: Liam Hendriks finishes 13th in 2020 AL MVP voting
MLB News & Interest
- Carig: I’m the father of an Asian American girl. Kim Ng’s rise is a big deal. ($$$)
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter
Coming to a rumor mill near you in December
There’s always a new stat or record to search for
Two first basemen win MVP Awards. Last time that happened was ‘06 (Morneau and Howard).— Alex Speier (@alexspeier) November 13, 2020
We have signed minor league switch-hitting C Tyler Heineman to a minor league deal with an invite to major league camp. pic.twitter.com/8VipFxUSow— Cardinals Player Development (@CardsPlayerDev) November 14, 2020
One more Ng tweet, from a former A’s coach