We’ve reached Day 3 of the 2019 MLB Draft. The Oakland A’s made two picks on Monday and eight more on Tuesday, and now Wednesday will bring the final selections. Check out these links for more on what has happened so far:
- 1st round: SS Logan Davidson (No. 29 overall)
- 2nd round: RHP Tyler Baum (No. 66 overall)
- Day 2: Rounds 3 thru 10
The final day is also the longest, with 30 more rounds of picks coming. At this point in the draft it’s a long shot to find even one future MLB player, but it certainly happens: Lou Trivino (11th), Jaycob Brugman (17th), Boog Powell (20th round), Ryan Dull (32nd), are names the A’s have recently plucked from this range and brought all the way up to the majors. They also scored a couple of their current CPL prospects like Wyatt Marks (13th) and Gus Varland (14th), and others who were used as trade chips like Eli White (11th) and Nolan Blackwood (14th). Several of today’s picks will ultimately not sign with the A’s, especially in the final few rounds, but most of them will join the organization.
11th round (No. 344): Dustin Harris, 3B (St. Petersburg JC) (video)
12th round (No. 374): T.J. Schofield-Sam, 3B (High school, Canada) (videos)
13th round (No. 404): Sahid Valenzuela, SS (Cal State University-Fullerton) (videos)
14th round (No. 434): Peyton Miller, RHP (Tyler JC) (videos)
15th round (No. 464): Josh Watson, OF (Texas Christian University) (videos)
16th round (No. 494): Brady Basso, LHP (Oklahoma State University) (videos)
17th round (No. 524): Vince Coletti, RHP (Florida Atlantic University) (video)
18th round (No. 554): Jorge Romero, OF (High school, Puerto Rico) (video)
19th round (No. 584): Jared McDonald, C (Western Oregon University) (video)
20th round (No. 614): Jack Weisenburger, RHP (University of Michigan) (video)
21st round (No. 644): Shane Selman, OF (McNeese State University) (video)
22nd round (No. 674): Jack Cushing, RHP (Georgetown University) (videos)
23rd round (No. 704): Austin Wahl, RHP (Cal State University-Monterey Bay)
24th round (No. 734): Trayson Kubo, RHP (Stephen F Austin University) (video)
25th round (No. 764): Ty Duvall, C (Vanderbilt University) (videos)
26th round (No. 794): Elvis Peralta, SS (Marshall University) (video)
27th round (No. 824): Gavin Jones, 3B (State Fair CC) (video)
28th round (No. 854): Wil Jensen, RHP (Pepperdine University)
29th round (No. 884): Michael Woodworth, 2B (University of Connecticut) (videos)
30th round (No. 914): Edward Baram, RHP (Adelphi University) (video)
31st round (No. 944): Matthew Koehler, CF (Western Carolina University) (video)
32nd round (No. 974): Marty Bechina, 2B (Michigan State University) (videoses)
33rd round (No. 1004): Charles Hall, RHP Charles Hall (Tusculum College) (video)
34th round (No. 1034): Kumar Nambiar, LHP (Yale University) (video)
35th round (No. 1064): Zach Rafuse, RHP (University of South Carolina-Aiken)
36th round (No. 1094): Jake Walkinshaw, RHP (Southern New Hampshire University) (video)
37th round (No. 1124): Chase Wheatcroft, RHP (Cal State University-Stanislaus) (video)
38th round (No. 1154): David Leal, LHP (Lousiana Tech) (video)
39th round (No. 1184): Derek Lee, OF (University of Richmond)
40th round (No. 1214): Sam Romero, RHP (Arizona State University) (videos)
A few notes
Adding some notes and reports about a few players. Remember you can check all their amateur stats at The Baseball Cube.
- Regarding TJ Schofield-Sam (12th round): Earns praise for hit tool and plate discipline, but power still developing. Arm can play anywhere, but one report suggests he ends up at 2B. (Links 1, 2, 3)
- Sahid Valenzuela (13th round) has worked hard his whole life to reach this point, according to this feature profile from 2017.
- Josh Watson (15th round) set the TCU school record for most games played in a career.
- Sweet defensive highlight from pitcher Jack Weisenburger (20th round).
- Pitcher Jack Cushing (22nd round) set the Georgetown school record for career strikeouts.
- Scouting report for Trayson Kubo (24th round), from July 2018: fastball 92-93, topped 94, and a changeup at 78. He also threw a no-hitter in high school, making him at least the third pitcher from this A’s draft class to have done so.
- Ty Duvall (28th round) hit a clutch grand slam in NCAA Regionals this month, and you can read more about him here.
- Charles Hall (33rd round) set the Division II record with 22 strikeouts in a game this season. The story notes his fastball dialing up to 93-94 mph, and a heavy reliance on breaking balls.
- According to this tweet, Jake Walkinshaw (36th round) had Tommy John surgery a couple years ago in college.
- David Leal (38th round) missed part of this season to a broken foot, which required surgery.
- Austin Wahl (23rd round) is from Salinas, and Michael Woodworth (29th round) is from Alameda.
- Marty Bechina (32nd round, out of college) went to the same high school (St. Rita, Chicago) as Jalen Greer (5th round, out of high school).
- Mustache Alert for Jared McDonald (19th round):
Mustache Alert from the #Athletics draft class. 19th-rounder Jared McDonald, a catcher out of Western Oregon. I'd only give the stache a 60-grade for now, but it has the potential to grow into more. pic.twitter.com/jPzjX0uTgn— Alex Hall (@AlexHallAN) June 5, 2019
- Also, nailed it.