- Slusser: A’s prospects getting a boost from Arizona Fall League... ($)
- Oz: Rickey Henderson shows he still has swagger on ‘Old Baseball Cards’...
Best of AN:
- fatrolf: Oakland A’s Player Profile - Sean Murphy...
- Hall: Daniel Mengden shaved his mustache but we’ll always remember it...
- Apstein: Astros Staffer’s Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB’s Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward Domestic Violence...
- Baggarly: A’s quality control coach Mark Kotsay seen as favorite for Giants managerial opening... ($$$)
- Heyman: Phillies torn between Buck Showalter, Joe Girardi for next manager...
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Sarris: Five things to watch for in a pitching nerd’s dream World Series... ($$$)
- Clemens: Postseason Preview - The 2019 World Series...
- Gammons: What the playoffs have told us about the state of starting pitching and development... ($$$)
- Wilson, Lane and Greiner: Explaining the 2019 MLB Home Run Record with Quality of Pitch...
- Edwards: Greatest World Series Rotations of All Time...
Today in Baseball History:
- 1920 — Eight members of the Chicago White Sox are indicted for supposedly throwing the 1919 World Series. Although considered heavy favorites to win the Series, the White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds in eight games in what will become known as the Black Sox Scandal.
- 1967 — Kansas City Athletics owner Charlie Finley hires Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio as vice-president. DiMaggio will also serve as a coach of the newly-transplanted Oakland A’s.
- 1972 — The Athletics defeat Cincinnati, 3 - 2, to win their first World Series since the franchise’s move to Oakland. Gene Tenace, named Series MVP, drives in two of Oakland’s runs. Future Hall of Fame pitcher Jim “Catfish” Hunter earns the victory in relief.
Best of Twitter:
- What a fall for Greg Deichmann, who is lapping the field in home runs...
Another one!#Athletics’ Greg Deichmann has upped his @MLBazFallLeague-leading HR total to 9⃣ -- in just 20 games! -- with a 4th-inning blast. The next most is 4.— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) October 21, 2019
Only 1 player has hit more in an AFL season this decade: Mike Olt, 13, in 2011.
Leaders: https://t.co/fEVjJAGy0E pic.twitter.com/AMTnB8aLHA
- Congrats to the Vallejo native on a fantastic career...
Thank you, Baseball. pic.twitter.com/o4lGeQi3uJ— CC Sabathia (@CC_Sabathia) October 21, 2019
- If you like star pitching, this year’s World Series (starting tonight) could be an all-timer...
World Series with at least four 5-WAR pitchers— James Smyth (@JamesSmyth621) October 21, 2019