Happy New Year, Athletics Nation! Unfortunately I have some bittersweet news to begin 2019, but it’s for the best possible reason so really it’s happy news. Our friend Frederic_Henry will be stepping back from the daily Elephant Rumblings, because his family has recently developed a new rookie from their farm system and so his time and energy are needed at home. Thank you Frederic (Jack) for doing such great, consistent, reliable work over the last two years, and the whole community wishes you the best!
Fear not, though, because AN won’t be missing a beat. Next week, a familiar face will return to the front-page lineup to ensure that we get our serving of fresh, hot links every morning, or at least three days a week until spring starts. For now, here’s a new issue to get us caught up through the beginning of the new year (going back through our last edition on Dec 19).
- Ross: A’s are among teams interested in free-agent LHP Brett Anderson
- Slusser: A’s top prospect Jesus Luzardo draws raves, appears lock for rotation
- Gorcey: Manaea surgery went well, possible return by All-Star break
- Kleinschmidt: Rob Friedman ‘Pitching Ninja’ talks favorite A’s pitchers past, present
- McWilliams: The A’s plan to build starting rotation through patience
- Rosenthal: A’s offered three years to SP Anibal Sanchez before he chose Nats
- Slusser: Marcus Semien to honor A’s mentor Ron Washington at Coaching Corps Game Changer awards
Kind of old A’s news:
- A’s sign reliever Joakim Soria
- A’s acquire 2B Jurickson Profar from Rangers
- A’s re-sign starter Mike Fiers
- A’s minor league free agent signings
- A’s roster and payroll update
- Updated list of available SP
Former A’s on the move:
- Lockard: Former A’s Assistant Scouting Director Michael Holmes hoping to find Giants next championship core
- RHP Trevor Cahill to Angels (free agent, 1/$9M)
- C Jonathan Lucroy to Angels (free agent, 1/$3+M)
- RHP Kendall Graveman to Cubs (free agent, 1-plus-option)
- SHP Pat Venditte to Giants (free agent, 1/$0.6M)
- RHP Bobby Wahl to Brewers (traded by Mets)
- LHP Danny Coulombe to Yankees (minor league free agent)
- LHP Jeremy Bleich to Phillies (minor league free agent)
- 2B Eric Sogard to Blue Jays (minor league free agent)
- OF Billy Burns to Yankees (minor league free agent)
- OF Shane Peterson to Dodgers (minor league free agent)
- UT Matt McBride to Phillies (minor league free agent)
- UT Gregorio Petit to Phillies (minor league free agent)
- RHP Ryan Cook to Japan ($1.3M)
- IF Jefry Marte to Japan (link)
- RHP Josh Lindblom to Korea ($1.8M)
- RHP Seth Frankoff to Korea ($1.2M)
- RHP A.J. Cole cut by Yankees (DFA)
- Rosenthal: CC Sabathia underwent a heart procedure, is expected to make a full recovery
- Feinsand: Astros reliever Joe Smith out 6-8 months, ruptured Achilles
- Passan: Troy Tulowitzki chooses Yankees, who will pay him minimum salary
Hot stove updates:
- LHP Yusei Kikuchi to Mariners (~4/$56M)
- LHP Zach Britton to Yankees (3/$39M)
- LHP Andrew Miller to Cardinals (2/$25M)
- RHP David Robertson to Phillies (2/$23M)
- RHP Joe Kelly to Dodgers (3/$25M)
- RHP Anibal Sanchez to Nationals (2/$19M)
- RHP Matt Shoemaker to Blue Jays (1/$4M)
- 2B Daniel Murphy to Rockies (2/$24M)
- 2B Ian Kinsler to Padres (2/$8M)
- DH Nelson Cruz to Twins (1/$14M)
- SS Troy Tulowitzki to Yankees (1/$0.6M, no-trade)
- Updated list of Top 20 remaining free agents
- Kyle Farmer trade (LAD/CIN): Puig/Kemp/Wood/Farmer/cash to Reds, prospects and dead money to Dodgers
- Daily Dipoto trade (SEA/MIL): OF Domingo Santana to Mariners, Ben Gamel and a prospect to Brewers
- Brewers trade another OF (MIL/NYM): OF Keon Broxton to Mets, prospects to Brewers
Baseball Interest Stories:
- Korach/Slusser A’s book (preorder at Amazon): If These Walls Could Talk
- Wait, click above and order the book before moving to the next link
- Jenkins: Birdman’s wooden bats, crafted by Bay Area team, have major-league appeal
- Shea: Black Sox scandal, SF native Thom Ross paints fresh perspective of 1919 team
- Sullivan: What If Patrick Corbin Were a Trendsetter?
- Sullivan: Willians Astudillo is an MVP candidate (in Venezuela)
Best of Twitter:
- The newest Koo transit map!
The roster changes since I last updated the #Athletics roster map in July have enabled me to straighten out some lines and clear out the middle. That line that starts with Mark Mulder is much more elegant now. pic.twitter.com/EAW6BNq3Kx— Happy Koo Year (@jfkooAN) December 22, 2018
- Ken, you can announce my lunch anytime you need practice!
- I’d been waiting for the longest time to make Billy Joel jokes about Fiers.
July: A's acquire Fiers?— Alex Hall (@AlexHallAN) December 23, 2018
July: WE DIDN'T ACQUIRE THE FIERS
August: OK they later acquired him.
Sept: Pitching well, may start WC game?
Oct: WE DIDN'T START THE FIERS
Nov: Is $10M too much?
Nov: WE DIDN'T TENDER THE FIERS
Dec: Re-signs as free agent.
Dec: WE DIDN'T LOSE THE FIERS
- I still refuse to give attention to the Kyler Murray drama non-story, but this amazing touchdown pass at the Orange Bowl set college football records and is worth watching.
What a pass by Kyler Murraypic.twitter.com/ipHafNbz6c— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) December 30, 2018
- Monster dongs!
- Finally, in case you missed this in December ...