- Jharel Cotton seeks second opinion after MRI shows sprained UCL...
- Puk’s rough outing dims hope of rotation spot...
- A’s might have gem in Franklin Barreto, but is 2018 his time to shine?
- Oakland hoping to buy Alameda County’s half of Coliseum complex...
- Oakland Athletics spring coaching Q&A: Aaron Nieckula...
- Reds Extend Eugenio Suarez...
- Yairo Munoz flashes versatility in bid for roster spot
- Ed Charles, member of the Miracle Mets and baseball poet, dead at 84...
Baseball Interest Stories:
- MLB season preview: Will baseball’s new pace-of-play rules actually work?
- Sullivan: The Era of Experimentation...
- Will former No. 1 pick Dansby Swanson blossom into a star?
- 100 years ago, Babe Ruth became Babe Ruth with a 500-foot homer into an Alligator Farm...
Today in Baseball History:
- 1969 - A plane crash in Maracaibo, Venezuela kills 155 passengers including highly touted prospect Nestor (Latigo) Chavez, en route to the San Francisco Giants spring training camp. The 21-year-old pitcher, who posted a 1-0 mark in his rookie season with the Giants, was 12-5 with Double-A Waterbury in the Eastern League in 1967, including seven shutouts. Also on board were minor leaguer Carlos Santeliz and Venezuelan League executive Antonio Herrera Gutiérrez.
- 1972 - Oakland Athletics holdout Vida Blue announces that he has rejected the team’s latest contract offer and will retire to work for a company that makes toilet fixtures. The “retirement” won’t last long, as Blue will eventually come to terms with Oakland and begin his season in May. A 24-game winner in 1971, Blue will have a 6-10 record in 1972 but redeem himself by saving Game 1 of the World Series.
Best of Twitter:
- Blackburn appears a near-lock for a rotation spot...
While Paul Blackburn’s spot in A’s rotation wasn’t 100% lock entering spring, he was best of the bunch for me. After tonight’s impressive performance, that’s still the case. Does nothing fancy out there, but he consistently gives you quality innings. Great movement this spring.— Martin Gallegos (@MartinJGallegos) March 16, 2018
- Notes on Puk’s rough start...
Melvin says the A’s haven’t seen Puk’s maximum velocity yet but it’s coming. Thought maybe the pitch selection wasn’t quite right at times tonight but wasn’t concerned about outing.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) March 16, 2018
Do you like Elephant Rumblings linking to stories about recently-departed A’s (Yairo Munoz, Sonny Gray, etc.)?
This poll is closed
Nope - forget ‘em and focus on current A’s.
Yes - once an Athletic, always interested!
Other (comment below)