Trades & Trade Rumors:
- Yankees acquire Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle in seven-player trade. Blake Rutherford was part of the package sent back to Chicago. Does this end New York’s interest in Yonder Alonso? Maybe not...
hearing only that frazier will play both 3b & 1b, but this seems to be a first, unspoken admission chase headley wasnt quite doing it.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 19, 2017
- Diamondbacks acquire J.D. Martinez from Tigers for a trio of...marginal prospects. If this is the market for rental players, are the A’s better off holding onto Alonso anyway?
- Milwaukee has lost three straight and now leads the NL Central by just 2.5 games. Does this make them more or less likely to trade for Sonny Gray? Ken Rosenthal writes any trade would likely involve Brett Phillips, but not necessarily Lewis Brinson.
- Sports Illustrated believes the Astros will trade for Gray.
- Add a new team to the mix: the Royals are reportedly interested in acquiring Gray. Do they have the prospects?
- Another Lowrie update:
red sox scouted 3 mets -- flores as well as asdrubal and (tj) rivera -- as 3b alternatives. lowrie, harrison, solarte also seen as in mix— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 19, 2017
- Santiago Casilla being Santiago Casilla cost Chris Smith his first win since 2008.
- Yonder Alonso takes home the A’s 2017 MLBPAA Heart & Hustle award.
- Sean Doolittle earned his first save for the Nationals. It wasn’t pretty, but he retired Mike Trout and Albert Pujols to close out the game.
- Brewers lose Stephen Vogt for a month with a sprained MCL.
Best of Twitter:
- Were the A’s asking too much?
- The White Sox now have more top-70 prospects than 4/5ths of the AL West...
With Blake Rutherford, the White Sox now have as many top-70 prospects (10, per MLB) as CLE, DET, MIN, KC, OAK, TEX, SEA and LAA combined.— Alex Putterman (@AlexPutterman) July 19, 2017
- Buster Olney confirms it is a bad time to be a seller...
Generally: It is a terrible market to trade a position player, because so many contenders don't have a major lineup need.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 18, 2017