This year marks the 50th season of Oakland A’s baseball, which began in 1968 after a move (i.e. significant upgrade) from Kansas City. They will celebrate that milestone at their Spirit Week, starting next Monday, March 27.
The team sent out a press release Wednesday morning detailing the various events and promotions going on next week, but the best part came at the very end:
Trade in your Giants cap for an A’s one: Fans can trade in a San Francisco Giants cap for a new Green and Gold A’s cap at all public Spirit Week events, including the April 1 Bay Bridge game at the Coliseum.
If you ever planned on convincing your casual-fan friend to make the switch, this is the time to do it! Share some Doolittle tweets with them, show them pics of Mengden’s mustache, and invite them over to watch Moneyball while you nonchalantly bring up fun facts about the 1989 World Series. You’re doing them a favor here, really. The tickets are cheaper, and BART and you’re there.
Here’s your list of opportunities to swap caps, if I am interpreting the press release correctly:
- Mon., March 27, noon: Oakland City Hall. (Flag raising with the mayor.)
- Mon., March 27, 6-9 p.m.: 19th St. & Webster. (Unveiling a new A’s mural! This actually sounds fun.)
- Wed., March 29, 8-9 a.m.: Peet’s Coffee, 1111 Broadway in Oakland. (Get a free coffee too!)
- Thu., March 30, 4:30-5:15 p.m.: Coliseum Plaza, between Coliseum & Oracle. (BART Takeover, ride to AT&T Park as a big group; sounds like a college rally but we could probably use one of those.)
- Sat., April 1, noon first pitch: Oakland Coliseum. (Bay Bridge Series, Game 3.)
Those are your options, as near as I can tell. Go forth and spread that green and gold gospel!
And I know just the fans to start with. Anyone happen to have their number?
C’mon you two, you both know A’s green will match your eyes and look incredible. Protect this house.
Your Splash Bro knows what I’m talking about.