It sounds like Shields pitched well, but really it's unlikely the A's could manage more than a couple hits and a run off of Yarnell right now. Not much to say about the latest dullapalooza, but here's a few thoughts about the A's offense:
* Jason Kendall has not yet hit rock bottom as a hitter. That'll be when Ichiro throws him out at first base, which he will. Those 8-3 putouts are a bear.
* Dan Johnson should try triple vision, because while double vision didn't serve him well, single vision doesn't seem to be a whole lot better. So much for his foray--oh, did I say "AAAA"?--into the 2007 campaign so far.
* Travis Buck and Danny Putnam look like minor league hitters. Jerks.
* Request to Chavy: Let's start a conversation on "hitting the first pitch" and we'll just talk about the first thing that pops up.
* Request to Shannon Stewart: If you're going to throw like a girl and have a girl's name, could you at least hit as well as one?
I got a million of `em, folks. You know things are going bad offensively, when:
* It feels like you're finally rallying, and you realize it's just a 2-1 count.
* Your best rally comes when the catcher accidentally throws ball 4 into center field.
* You're tempted to bring the infield in and it's only the second inning.
* Those last two things actually happened tonight.
Hang in there, A's--you may score less often than a girl at the Neverland Valley Ranch, but you're only one game out of first place!