I thought I'd open up this thread for people to discuss their impressions of the disappointing opening day.
Here are my thoughts:
- The team looks like it can hit, but it also looks eerily similar to 2004 in which the team set an Oakland record for hits, but left men on base.
- Barry Zito is also looking like 2004 again. Two different pitchers in the same game. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and guess that he was amped for this start. Plus, the strong winds in Camden didn't help. I do like the fact that he's willing to come inside with the fastball more frequently this year.
- Crosby's injury is worrisome. Although he and Byrnes still seem to be waving at the outside slider more than I'd like.
- The bullpen looks as advertised. Calero should've had a one-two-three inning if not for an error and some horrid umpiring. And Duchscherer is solid.
- TiVo is the greatest invention ever. I could actually pause the pitch as it crossed the plate to show my wife how horrid the umpiring was. For both teams.
- Nick Swisher looked very good at bat. He stung the ball several times even when he made outs.
- It's going to be absolutely crucial that Durazo have a great year or Chavy will continually get nothing to hit. Chavez is going to be walking more than a senior at the mall at 7 a.m.
- It's one game. So, really, I shouldn't be drawing any conclusions.