With the A's trading the top of their farm system, including their only blue chip prospect, it's time to see what is left.
I hate the Shark and Hammel trade. I hate it. Mentally, I have in my mind Addison Russell as a superstar shortstop, Miggy 2.0. Mentally, I had him penned as the A's starting SS in 2015 after Lowrie's departure (or retainment as a 2B).
Now he's gone. Ah well, at least I will be able to walk a few blocks to see him every day, at least when I am not at the office.
So getting to it, here is our updated Community Prospect List from the pre-season.
1. Addison Russell, SS (1, 1, 1 )
2. Billy McKinney, OF (2, 4, 2)
1. Raul Alcantara, SP (3, 2, 5) - On DL with Tommy John Surgery
2. Daniel Robertson (9, 3, 3) - Perhaps our best prospect now. Our new SS of the future. .396 wOBA in Stockton. But, California League numbers....
3. Michael Ynoa (4, 7, 11) - 7.04 ERA to go with last year's 7.11 ERA. FIP is 3.95 though.
4. Billy Burns (NA, 17, 7) - In Double A with a .303 wOBA
5. Bobby Wahl (8, 10, 6) - 5.82 ERA in Stockton
6. BJ Boyd (NA, 8, NA) - .296 wOBA in Stockton
7 Max Muncy (6, 13, 10) - .360 wOBA in Midland AA, but he is a 1B...
8. Renato Nunez (5, 5, NA) - .388 wOBA, Stockton A+, a good hitting 3B prospect, but again California League numbers.
9. Matt Olson (11, 6, 8) - .400 wOBA, another 1B, and again Stockton Numbers in A+ ball.
10. Nolan Sanburn (10, 9, NA) - 3.15 ERA, but 4.27 FIP, again at Stockton.
11. Dylan Covey (7, 12, 9) - 4.98 ERA, 3.77 FIP, at Stockton.
12. Miles Head (NA, 15, NA) - .286 wOBA at Double A for his third year at Midland. Head is a poster child for why Stockton numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.
13. Chris Kohler - 2.78 ERA, 2.51 FIP in Rookie League in 2013, no appearances in 2014.
14. Arnold Leon - 4.47 ERA, 4.17 FIP in AAA for the third year, and now almost 26 years old.
15. Bruce Maxwell - .342 wOBA, 23 year old Catcher at Stockton for a second year.
Special shout out to Albany native Chris Lamb. Cheering you all the way.
But wow. That is a very thin system. Of the remaining top 15 from the pre-season CPL, only Daniel Robertson and Renato Nunez are of any note. Alcantara would be, but he is shut down with Tommy John surgery.
We don't have a lot of prospect capital left to spend. It's likely that Robertson and Nunez are going to be on the way out if we do acquire another middle infielder.
As a side note, in the last 12 months, the A's have traded the following first round draft picks.
- 2013 Billy McKinney
- 2012 Addison Russell
- 2010 Michael Choice
- 2009 Grant Green
- 2008 Jemile Weeks
- 2007 Corey Brown
Food for thought.