After a very successful 6 game homestand, and then 2 games across the Bay, the A's move on to Seattle for the final 3 games before the All-Star Break. The A's swept the Blue Jays and blew out the Giants, winning the Series 3-1, so can they keep this hot streak alive to finish off the first half.
1. Series Outcome. (3 points)
2. Shark v. the King. The A's newly acquired pitcher, NL All-Star, Jeff Samrzija is taking on a nemesis, Felix Hernandez in game one of the series on Friday night. For each, guess IP/H/ER/K/BB. (2 points each) Who gets the win? (neither is an acceptable answer)(1 point) (21 points total)
Samardzija: 8 IP/5 H/3 ER/5 K/0 BB
Hernandez: 8 IP/6 H/ 2 ER/ 9 K/2 BB
Yes, Hernandez got win.
3. The Catchers. The A's have three catchers currently who are all hitting very well, and therefore playing in various spots. For each question, choose Norris, Jaso, Vogt, or tie.
a) Who starts the most games this series at catcher? Norris
b) Who has more total plate appearances? Tie (Vogt/Jaso)
c) Who has more hits? Tie (Vogt/Jaso)
d) Who has more extra-base hits? Tie (Vogt/Jaso)
(2 points each) (8 points total)
4. All-Star 3B. Donaldson,as we all know is the AL starting 3B, but Kyle Seager also got selected to fill in as a reserve. For each, guess PA/H/XBH for the series. (2 points each) Does either hit a home run? (1 point)(13 points total)
Donaldson: 12 PA/2 H/0 XBH
Seager: 11 PA/4 H/1 XBH
Yes, Seager hit HR
5. The Closers. Between Sean Doolittle and Fernando Rodney, guess who, for the series, has more: a) innings pitched; b) saves; c) strikeouts; d) earned runs. (tie is acceptable answer.) (1 point each) (4 points)
a) Doolittle; b) Tie; c) Doolittle; d) Tie
6. End of First Half Miscellaneous.
a) The A's currently have a 4 game lead on the Angels, with the Angels playing now and winning. How big a lead do the A's have on the Angels going into the All-Star break? (1 point)
c) Who is in first place in the National League West going into the All-Star break - Dodgers or Giants? (1 point)
Abreu (as of now - BAL game still going)
Please have your entries in by first pitch on Friday. Total possible points: 53