With the draft beginning tomorrow, I wanted to take a look at how valuable a 1st round pick is. Of course later round picks can prove to be valuable in time, but I wanted to focus on the #1 overall pick. I believe that most 1st rounders can be grouped in the same categories as each other. Where some fail, some exceed expectations. Looking at the #1 overall picks over the last 10 years will give us an insight on how valuable a 1st round pick really is.
2003: Delmon Young - Devil Rays
- 2nd in Rookie Of The Year voting in 2007. Breakout season in 2010 batting .298/.333/.498 with 21 HR, good for getting 10th in AL MVP voting. Currently in his 9th MLB season- Career avg line: .282/.316/.422 , 16 HR (162 game avg)
2004: Matt Bush - Padres
- Never made it out of the minor leagues. Hasn't played since 2011. *special note: Justin Verlander was the 2nd overall pick this year.
2005: Justin Upton - Diamondbacks
- 2 time All-Star. In his 8th MLB season. Has hit more than 25 HR in 3 seasons, and has stolen more than 15 bases in 4 seasons. Career avg line: .276/.357/.479 , 26 HR, 16 SB (162 game avg)
- 7 MLB seasons. Career avg: 5.10 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 131 K (full season avg). *special note: While he has mostly been mediocre, he had a fantastic year in 2013 as a relief pitcher (1.92 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 82 K in 70.1 IP). He has yet to see time in 2014 due to injury.
2007: David Price - Devil Rays
- 3 time All-Star, CY Young winner. Currently in his 7th MLB season. Has pitched over 200 innings in 3 seasons. Has struck out over 200 batters in 2 seasons. Has pitched to a sub-3.00 ERA in 2 seasons. Career avg: 3.28 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 203 K (full season avg)
2008: Tim Beckham - Rays
- In 2013 he saw his first MLB experience. He had only 7 AB, but managed 3 hits. Past 3 seasons in AAA career avg: .267/.329/.388, 15 HR, 25 SB (162 game avg)
2009: Stephen Strasburg - Nationals
- 1 time All-Star. Currently in his 5th MLB season. Has never had an ERA higher than 3.16. Has struck out over 190 batters in 2 seasons. Career avg: 2.99 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 232 K (full season avg)
2010: Bryce Harper - Nationals
- 2012 Rookie Of The Year. 2 time All-Star. Currently in his 3rd MLB season. Has hit over 20 HR and stolen over 10 bases in 2 seasons, both of the only full seasons he has played. Career avg line: .273/.353/.476, 25 HR, 17 SB (162 game avg)
2011: Gerrit Cole - Pirates
- Currently in his 2nd MLB season. Career avg: 3.39 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 185 K (full season avg)
2012: Carlos Correa - Astros
- Highest level of experience is A+. In his 3rd Minor League season. Career minors avg line: .308/.383/.459
2013: Mark Appel - Astros
- Highest level of experience is A+. In his 2nd Minor League season. Career minors avg: 6:02 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 48 K in 52 IP.