On June 13th, the A's begin a 3-Game set against the New York Yankees. On June 13th of 2005, the first-ever GOG was posted on Athletics Nation. A FanPost by paris7 last Spring led me to a FanPost by colin from 2011 which had a brief history of the AN GOG. Using SBN's search engine led me (eventually) to the 1st GOG! (or, if you will permit me, the "O.G. GOG") I know nothing about Alien (whose screen name has since changed), the original author of this GOG. We all owe Alien a debt of gratitude. It is interesting to note that he/she got the idea from a similar game that was being played on a Blue Jays' fan site at the time. Our GOG is Canadian in origin! Just like Rush, William Shatner, and the Washington Nationals.
While making a sincere effort to remain faithful to Alien's original blueprint, I have re-written many of the questions for the purpose of context and clarity, and I have modified the scoring system and point values.
The Questions (46 points, but lots of low-hanging fruit)
1. Series Outcome (3 points) A's 2-1
2. Individual Player with most RBI, 3 guesses (3 points) Crisp, Norris, Gardner
3. Position Player with highest single-game WPA, 3 guesses (3 points) Sogard!
4. Stolen Bases, both teams combined (5 points) None
5. Team that commits the most errors (2 points) A's
6. Pitcher that records the most strikeouts (4 points) Gray
7. Starting Pitcher with the highest Game Score (4 points) Phelps
8. Total number of HR hit, both teams combined (5 points) 4
9. Over/Under 19.5 IP for A's Starting Pitchers (2 points) Under
10. Which Bullpen will give up the most runs? (2 points, 3 points for a correctly guessed Tie) A's
11. Number of starts for Craig Gentry (2 points) 1
12. Number of times Brett Gardner K's (5 points) 0
13. Who gets more hits: Ellsbury or Donaldson? (2 points, 3 points for a correctly guessed Tie) Tie
14. Will there be an Extra Inning game? (2 points) No
Answers due by 7:05pm PDT Friday. Good Luck, and Let's Go A's!
In Loving Memory: Bob Welch (1956-2014)