If their Starting Rotation were healthy, the Rays would rule the AL East; that division is low-hanging fruit. But Matt Moore is lost for the season, and Hellickson won't be back for at least another month. Alex Cobb is due back this week, but the A's won't be facing him. The A's will also be avoiding David Price this time 'round. Bring it on.
THE QUESTIONS (61 points)
1. SERIES OUTCOME (3 points) A's 2-1
2. THE HUMAN DRAMA OF ATHLETIC COMPETITION The A's are 5-2 in Extra Inning Games this year. Do any of these Games go into Extra Innings? Are any of these Games tied through Seven Innings? Through Five? Are any of these Games scoreless through Three? (1 point each, 4 total) YES, EXTRAS/NO TIED THROUGH 7/YES, TIED THROUGH 5/YES, SCORELESS THROUGH 3
3. DUDE, WE'RE GONNA (GAME) SCORE! For each team, rank the Starting Pitchers by Game Score, highest to lowest (2 points each) Take an extra point for each team you correctly rank 1-3 (14 points total) If any Pitcher is scratched, the question applies to his replacement. No revisions after 1st pitch on Tuesday. A's: GRAY, POMERANZ, MILONE/RAYS: COBB (for Archer), BEDARD, ODORIZZI
4. CARELESS WHISPER As the music dies, something in your eyes calls to mind a silver screen (and all its sad goodbyes). Predict AB/H/XBH for Josh Reddick (2 points each) Wil Myers, Reddick's Rays counterpart, is doing his sophomore slump thing. Predict AB/H/XBH for Myers anyway. Guess Reddick/Myers/Tie for most Ks in this series (1 point, 13 total) REDDICK: 12/0/0 MYERS: 12/2/0 REDDICK, MORE Ks
5. ALUMNI DAY I really, really miss Grant Balfour. If you're reading this, you probably miss him as well. Let's all dry our tears for a moment and predict his IP/H/BB/K (2 points each) Does Balfour record a Save? (1 point) Does he Blow a Save? (1 point) I gotta say, watching Balfour melt down in a game against the A's would be really fun to watch. Here's a true fact: David DeJesus leads the Rays in Home Runs! Well, actually he's tied for the lead with Evan Longoria. And Will Myers. And Desmond Jennings and Sean Rodriguez. With 4 (hey, I'm makin' lemonade here!). Predict AB/H/XBH for DeJesus (2 points each) At the end of this series, does any Rays player have more HRs than DeJesus? (1 point, 17 total) BALFOUR: 2/2/4/3 NO SAVE/YES, BLOWN SAVE DeJESUS: 5/1/0 YES, RODRIGUEZ LEADS RAYS IN HRs
6. SLIDING-SCALE LONG BALL: Who hits the first HR for each team in this series? You can guess up to 3 players from each team. A correct answer based on 3 guesses is worth 1 point. A correct answer based on 2 guesses is worth 3 points. A correct answer based on 1 guess is worth 5 points. You can guess "Nobody" for either team. A correct "Nobody" is worth 3 points. (10 points possible, in theory) MOSS, RODRIGUEZ
Answers Due by 4:10pm PDT Tuesday. Good Luck, and Let's Go A's!