Jesse Chavez (3-1, 2.44) starts for Oakland against Justin Masterson (2-2, 4.31) as the Athletics (27-16) try to flip around their fortunes in Cleveland (19-24) after being swept there last season and go for the road sweep. This will be Jesse Chavez's 200th career game. The A's own the best road record in baseball at 15-6.
Chavez starts coming off of his eight-inning masterpiece against the Chicago White Sox on May 12 where he gave up just two runs and struck out seven. Masterson's last performance against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre was a disappointing 5⅓ innings giving up all five runs in taking the loss.
|OAKLAND A'S||CLEVELAND INDIANS|
|Coco Crisp - CF||Michael Bourn - CF|
|Jed Lowrie - SS||Mike Aviles - SS|
|Josh Donaldson - 3B||Michael Brantley - LF|
|Brandon Moss - LF||Ryan Raburn - DH|
|Yoenis Cespedes - DH||David Murphy - RF|
|John Jaso - C||Nick Swisher - 1B|
|Josh Reddick - RF||Carlos Santana - C|
|Alberto Callaspo - 1B||Lonnie Chisenhall - 3B|
|Eric Sogard - 2B||Jose Ramirez - 2B|
|Jesse Chavez - RHP||Justin Masterson - RHP|
- Alberto Callaspo is at first base today against the right-handed Masterson to give Yoenis Cespedes a spell at designated hitter and Derek Norris a day off. Brandon Moss will be in left field.
- Eric Sogard returns to second base after Nick Punto started yesterday.
- Yoenis Cespedes is not running in today's Bay to Breakers.
From the Game Notes
- Record: The A's 43-game mark of 27-16 is their best start since 1990, when they started 30-13. The A's road start of 15-6 is their best road start since 1990 of the same record.
- Dingerz: The A's have homered in nine consecutive games. 30 of 48 home runs have come with men on base, leading the majors; Toronto is second with 27.
- Theft (aka Rickey says): The A's are 24 for 27 in stolen base attempts, the best in the majors. For Cleveland's Justin Masterson's career, base runners are 86 for 126 (68.2%) in steal attempts.
- Kyle Blanks is the 31st player the A's have used this year, second fewest in the majors behind Boston (29).
- Dating back to August 19, 2013, Brandon Moss has 69 RBIs in 76 games. This leads the majors over that span.
- Following Scott Kazmir's ejection in the second inning last night, Dan Otero saved the day with efficient work, getting three double plays over the career-high 3⅔ innings he pitched. Otero now leads relievers in innings pitched. Otero's win gives the A's bullpen its tenth of the season, which leads the majors.
- Sean Doolittle still has not walked a batter this year, now in 21 innings this season and now has a streak of 33 innings of pitching without a walk going back to last season. This streak moves him into second place alone ahead of Bartolo Colon, who tossed 32 innings without a walk. Dennis Eckersley leads this mark with 50⅓ innings pitched without issuing a walk.
- The Indians continue to go with an incredible nine-man bullpen presumably until Danny Salazar's turn comes up on May 20. Salazar was optioned to AAA Columbus after starting May 15 at Toronto.
RHP Johnson 21 pitches Friday. RHP Gregerson 18 pitches yesterday, 2 days rest prior. RHP Otero 32 pitches yesterday, 2 days rest prior. RHP Rodriguez 32 pitches Friday. LHP Doolittle 13 pitches yesterday, 4 days rest prior. LHP Abad 18 pitches yesterday, 2 days rest prior. LHP Savery 4 days rest.
RHP Allen 2 days rest. RHP Axford 15 pitches yesterday, used 2 of last 3 days. RHP Shaw 4 pitches yesterday, 2 days rest prior. RHP Atchison 2 days rest. RHP Carrasco 55 pitches Friday. LHP Rzepczysnki 12 pitches yesterday, used 2 of last 3 days. LHP Outman 13 pitches Friday, used 2 of last 3 days. LHP Crockett 24 pitches Friday. LHP House 11 pitches yesterday, 88 pitches Wednesday.
- First Pitch: 10:05 am Pacific Time
- TV: Comcast Sportsnet California & MLB Network
- Radio: 95.7 the Game, Oakland Athletics Radio Network.