The thing I noticed is he's not missing many bats. Control is poor. And he's getting unlucky on BABIP (which may be a factor of the poor control). Some stats, which may be slightly off. Note: I don't count hits as "strikes" in the count.
- 9 balls, 6 strikes. Only 2 swinging strikes. so his swing and miss rate is 2/15 = 13%
- 1 walk, 1 HBP, 0 K. K/BB = 0/2.
- 2 of the 3 balls in play were hits, so a BABIP of 0.666. The other was a "productive out", a sac fly.
- 9 balls, 10 strikes. Only 2 swinging strikes. swing and miss rate ~10%
- 1 semi-intentional walk to Carlos Santana, one intentional walk to Asdrubal Cabrera. No K.
- 3 of the 5 balls in play were hits, so a BABIP of 0.600. One of the outs was a sac fly.
But he's throwing more balls than strikes, and not getting many swinging strikes. Though Johnson is not a "strikeout pitcher", zero strikeouts over 11 batters is a poor start. And several of the batters (Yan Gomes, Ryan Raburn, Nick Swisher and Jason Kipnis) were badly behind in the count, yet three of them managed to get on base.
Should we be worried?