The Oakland Athletics hope to extend their one game lead in the American League West Division with the third game of this four-game set against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park. A few more "buntgate" fireworks came down last night with Fernando Abad hitting Jason Castro with a pitch that led to warnings to both benches in the bottom of the ninth inning, and Astros manager Bo Porter ejected for arguing why Abad was not ejected. Will that settle everything?
Over/under on 2 hbp today— Fake Ray Fosse (@FakeFosse) April 26, 2014
- Today at Minute Maid Park the Astros are giving away 10,000 bobbleheads featuring 2013 All-Star catcher and team MVP Jason Castro. Will that be a curse or comfort to Castro today?
- The Athletics have the best road record (9-2) in the American League and second best in the majors behind Milwaukee (9-1).
- Athletics pitching leads the American League in ERA (2.67), opponents batting average (.226), on-base percentage (.290), and slugging percentage (.333)
- The Athletics are 25-5 against the Astros all-time, but did you know that all five of the A's losses to Houston have been by one run?
- Josh Donaldson hopes to continue a 7-game hitting streak, and has a hit in 17 of his last 18. He has reached safely on a hit or walk in eighteen consecutive games.
|OAKLAND ATHLETICS||HOUSTON ASTROS|
|Coco Crisp - DH||Jose Altuve - 2B|
|Derek Norris - C||Dexter Fowler - CF|
|Jed Lowrie - SS||Jason Castro - C|
|Josh Donaldson - 3B||George Springer - RF|
|Alberto Callaspo - 1B||Marc Krauss - 1B|
|Josh Reddick - RF||Chris Carter - DH|
|Craig Gentry - CF||Alex Presley - LF|
|Brandon Moss - LF||Matt Dominguez - 3B|
|Nick Punto - 2B||Marwin Gonzalez - SS|
|Dan Straily - RHP||Dallas Keuchel - LHP|
Houston Starter Dallas Keuchel (L)
- Record: 2-1, 3.38 ERA.
- This is Dallas Keuchel's first start against Oakland this season.
- Keuchel is on a streak of three consecutive quality starts, including getting the W against Felix Hernandez last Monday in Seattle.
- Keuchel has struck out 24 and walked 6 this season in 24 innings pitched, and allowed 3 home runs in 4 starts.
Oakland Starter Dan Straily (R)
- Record: 1-1, 5.40 ERA.
- This is Dan Straily's first start against Houston this season.
- In his last appearance on Monday against Texas, he allowed 3 runs in 5 innings pitched, and only permitted 84 pitches.
- Straily has struck out 21 and walked 6 this season in 21⅔ innings pitched, and allowed 5 home runs in 4 starts.
- Yoenis Cespedes continues to be held out after tweaking his left hamstring in Thursday night's laugher, Brandon Moss will be in left field. However:
Cespedes will do some running before the game and potentially could be available off the bench. #Athletics— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) April 26, 2014
- Daric Barton, Eric Sogard, and John Jaso sit out tonight against the lefty Keuchel, in favor of Alberto Callaspo at first, Nick Punto at second, and Derek Norris behind the plate.
- Coco Crisp is the designated hitter, with Craig Gentry in center field and Josh Reddick in right field.
|Gregerson||R||12⅔||2.84||14 pitches||2 days off prior|
|Cook||R||6⅔||1.35||Not used||3 days off|
|Johnson||R||10||6.30||Not used||2 days off|
|Otero||R||12⅓||0.73||14 pitches||2 consecutive days|
|Pomeranz||R||11⅓||1.59||Not used||2 of last 3 days|
|Doolittle||L||11⅔||3.09||17 pitches||3 days off prior|
|Abad||L||10||0.00||13 pitches||2 days off prior|
|Qualls||R||7⅓||6.14||19 pitches||2 of last 3 days|
|Fields||R||9⅓||9.64||20 pitches||4 of last 5 days|
|Bass||R||12⅔||4.26||33 pitches||3 of last 4 days|
|Williams||R||14||5.79||Not used||Thursday - 16 pitches|
|Clemens||R||10||5.40||Not used||Thursday - 51 pitches|
|Cisnero||R||1⅓||0.00||33 pitches||4 days off prior|
|Valdes||L||2⅓||11.57||17 pitches||3 of last 4 days|