With less than 20 games remaining in the Regular Season, the A's have yet to play the Minnesota Twins. Over the next two weeks, these teams will play each other seven times. Minnesota Twins Baseball c. 2013 is a sad thing, so this works out exceptionally well for the Green and Gold. Hey, don't look at me. I didn't make the damn schedule. Heh.
THE QUESTIONS (Theoretically, 82 points. Anyone who scores 82 points should probably be burned as a Witch)
1. SERIES OUTCOME (3 points)
2. THE HUMAN DRAMA OF ATHLETIC COMPETITION Do any of these Games go into Extra Innings? Are any of these Games tied through Seven Innings? Through Five? Are any of these Games scoreless through Three? (1 point each, 4 total)
3. THEY CALL HIM THE STREAK Actually, nobody calls Jarrod Parker "The Streak", thank goodness. Just workin' in a Ray Stevens reference. As you probably already know, Jarrod is currently rocking an 18-game unbeaten streak. Predict W, L, or ND for young Mr. Parker. (2 points) Predict Parker's IP/H/ER/BB/K (2 points each) Now, perform the same exercise for any one of Minnesota's interchangeably crummy Starting Pitchers. (24 points total) "Who the hell is Ray Stevens?" Oh, just google him. On second thought...
4. HOW'S THAT WORKING OUT FOR YOU? At first blush, the Alex Presley for Justin Morneau seems to be working out well for both teams. Morneau's Pirates play a 3-gamer against the Rangers beginning Monday. Justin has a 1.188 OPS against the Rangers this year, in a ridiculously small sample size. Predict AB/H/XBH for Presley. (2 points each) Do the same thing with Morneau for Tuesday and Wednesday's games only. (12 points total)
5. IT'S ALL ABOUT AVOIDING HANDS OUT AND MAKING YOUR RUN Ah, Batting Average. An old-timey, ham-fisted metric that does not adequately evaluate player performance. Pick up to 5 players on each team, and predict whether each player's BA is Higher or Lower at the end of the series. Your players must have a minimum of 4 PAs to qualify. 2 points for each correct answer, -1 point for each incorrect answer. As always, Zero is the minimum point total for the question. No points either way for any player whose BA remains unchanged through four decimal places. Take an extra 2 points if you run the table with at least one team. (22 points possible) In order to qualify for the 2 point bonus, you have to pick a minimum of 3 players from the team whose table you are running. That was an awkward sentence, but you get the idea.
6. SLIDING-SCALE LONG BALLS You know the drill. Who hits the 1st Home Run for each team in this Series? You can guess up to three players for each team. A correct answer based on 1 guess is worth 3 points. A correct answer based on 2 guesses is worth 2 points. A correct answer based on 3 guesses is worth 1 point. A correct "Nobody" for either team is worth 3 points. (6 points total)
7. POT O' POURRI (11 points possible)
a) Over/Under 16.5 IP for Twins SP (1 point)
b) Over/Under 2.5 Stolen Bases, both teams combined (1 point)
c) Over/Under/Tie for 1 appearance by Grant Balfour (2 points)
d) Name a RP for either team not named "Grant Balfour" who records a Save in this series (2 points, 1 point for a correct "Nobody")
e) Guess the attendance for the series (5 points for +/- 300, 4 points for +/- 500, 3 points for +/- 1000)
Answers due by Tuesday, 5:10 pm PDT. Good Luck, and Let's Go A's