The Oakland Athletics have clinched home field in the ALDS, meaning they will play games at the Coliseum on Friday, October 4; Saturday, October 5; and, if necessary, Thursday, October 10. The ALCS is a different story. The Boston Red Sox's win means the tragic number for Oakland's guaranteed home field for the ALCS is 1. Oakland must sweep the Mariners and Boston must lose the final two to Baltimore for Oakland to win home field throughout the playoffs and face the wildcard team in the ALDS.
Optimal Results for the Athletics for Saturday (all times Pacific):
- 1:10 pm - Oakland defeats Seattle (Parker, OAK v. Maurer, SEA)
- 4:05 pm - Baltimore defeats Boston (Lester, BOS v. Chen, BAL) (ALCS Home Field Magic Number = 4)
- The magic number for home field in the ALCS would be 2, Boston and Oakland each have 1 to play.
Magic Number = 163 - A's wins (95) - Boston Losses (63) - 1 if tie breaks to Oakland
ALCS Home Field Advantage
- 4 for a tie = BOS (W @ BAL; 2 @ BAL) (Any tie breaks to the A's*: 163 - 95 OAK wins - 63 BOS losses - 1 tiebreaker advantage)
* Tiebreaker with Boston. A tie would be broken in favor of Oakland as follows:
- Oakland and Boston tied the season series 3-3.
- Better intradivision record: OAK is 43-31 with 2 to play, BOS is 44-30 with 2 to play. The second tiebreaker magic number is 4. Because Oakland needs 4 wins or Boston losses in intradivision play to tie Boston overall anyway, Oakland necessarily would win this tiebreaker.