It was a nice feeling that by the time the seventh inning rolled around, some of us were paying more attention to what was going on in St. Pete.
Oakland's magic number for the division and the postseason stands at 2, with Texas and Cleveland in those roles, respectively.
The A's have 8 games remaining: 2 vs MIN, 3 @ LAA, and 3 @ SEA. The A's can clinch the division tomorrow with a victory against Minnesota and a Texas defeat to Kansas City. The same works for the postseason, if Cleveland loses to Houston on Saturday.
But of course, we would all love to see the A's charge on to the field with a victory instead of waiting for later for the Texas loss. The A's have a scheduled first pitch at 1:05pm. However, the current forecast from weather.com is for "Few Showers" all afternoon, corresponding to a 30% chance of precipitation with winds between 11 and 13 mph. Rain delays are blissfully rare at Oakland, but I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind hanging out at the Coliseum and letting Cleveland (3:05pm) and Texas (4:05pm) start first.
There are still six games to watch starting with the battle of the zombies at 10am Friday! Optimal results (all times Pacific):
- BAL defeats TAM (10:05 am) (TAM = 3)
- OAK defeats MIN (1:05 pm)
- HOU defeats CLE (3:05 pm) (Postseason MN = 2)
- CWS defeats DET (4:08 pm) (ALDS Home Field = 7)
- KC defeats TEX (4:10 pm) (Division MN = 2)
- TOR defeats BOS (4:10 pm) (ALCS Home Field = 11)
Magic Number = 163 - A's Wins (91) - OppL
- 11 = BOS (W vs TOR; 2 vs TOR, 2 @ COL, 3 @ BAL) (season series tied, intradivision too close to call)
- 7 = DET (W vs CWS; 2 vs CWS, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ MIA) (A's won season series: 163 - 91 - 64 - 1)
- 2 = TEX (L @ KC; 2 @ KC, 4 vs HOU, 4 vs LAA)
- 3 = TAM (W vs BAL; 3 vs BAL, 3 @ NYY, 3 @ TOR)
- 2 = CLE (W vs HOU; 2 vs HOU, 2 vs CWS, 4 @ MIN)
- OUT = BAL (L @ TAM)
- OUT = KC (W vs TEX)