A rollercoaster of a game today. And a rollercoaster of results around the American League. No matter what happens, we'll end with a better record than the New York Yankees. Cleveland held on in 11 innings against Houston, Boston beat Baltimore to lock up a postseason berth, and Texas beat Tampa.
Oakland's magic number for the division stands at 4, and for the postseason 3 against Cleveland.
The A's have 9 games remaining: 3 vs MIN, 3 @ LAA, and 3 @ SEA. The A's can clinch the division as soon as Saturday with 2 A's victories against Minnesota and 2 Texas defeats to Kansas City. If nothing else, the A's can clinch a postseason berth before leaving town for the remainder of the championship season by closing out the homestand with 3 victories.
Special note for those attending Saturday's game, the A's cannot clinch at the end of that game unless the game does super extra innings, with a 1 PT start in Oakland and a 4 PT start for KC/TEX. However, the A's can clinch the postseason by the end of that Saturday game if Cleveland loses on Friday and the A's win Friday.
The six game schedule starts at 4:05 pm Friday! Optimal results (all times Pacific):
- HOU defeats CLE (4:05 pm) (Postseason MN = 3)
- CWS defeats DET (4:08 pm) (ALDS Home Field = 8)
- TOR defeats BOS (4:10 pm) (ALCS Home Field = 12)
- TAM defeats BAL (4:10 pm) (TAM = 4) (BAL = 2)
- KC defeats TEX (5:10 pm) (Division MN = 4) (KC = 1)
- OAK defeats MIN (7:05 pm)
Magic Number = 163 - A's Wins (90) - OppL
- 12 = BOS (W vs BAL; 3 vs COL, 2 @ COL, 3 @ BAL) (season series tied, intradivision too close to call)
- 8 = DET (W vs SEA; 3 vs CWS, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ MIA) (A's won series series: 163 - 90 - 64 - 1)
- 4 = TEX (W @ TAM; 3 @ KC, 4 vs HOU, 4 vs LAA)
- 4 = TAM (L vs TEX; 4 vs BAL, 3 @ NYY, 3 @ TOR)
- 3 = CLE (W vs HOU; 3 vs HOU, 2 vs CWS, 4 @ MIN)
- 2 = BAL (L @ BOS; 4 @ TAM, 3 vs TOR, 3 vs BOS)
- 1 = KC (Idle; 3 vs TEX, 3 @ SEA, 4 @ CWS)
- OUT = NYY (L @ TOR)