The A's head into Detroit, for four games, against the AL Central leading Tigers, who also currently have the best record in the AL. This is an important series for the A's, to stay close in the Division and hopefully stay in one of the Wild Card positions.
1. Series Outcome. Guess the series outcome, remember 4 games. (4 points)
2. Trade Deadline Moves. Both the A's and Tigers acquired a new middle infielder right at the trade deadline. The Tigers acquiring Iglesias and the A's acquiring Callaspo. For both guess PA/H/RBI/K. (2 points each) Does either commit an error in the series (1 point)(17 possible)
3. The Big Three. The Tigers Big Three(Cabrera, Fielder, Hunter) are all having good seasons, particularly Cabrera. The A's Big Three (Cespedes, Moss, Donaldson) are not quite as prolific and some (ahem, Cespedes) are currently struggling. For the series, please guess which of the Big Three has more in each category, tie is an acceptable guess. a) Hits, b) Home Runs, c) Walks, d) Strikeouts. (2 points each)(8 points possible)
4. The Aces. Despite being on the same team as Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer is clearly the Tigers' team ace this year, Colon had been the A's ace, but in recent weeks, Jarrod Parker has taken that over with Colon's struggles and injury and Parker has had several very good outings in a row. It is likely that the last game of the series, Thursday's day game will be Scherzer v. Parker. For each pitcher guess: IP/H/R/K. (2 points each) (16 points possible)
5. SAVG. Unfortunately, we all are well aware of the A's struggles with runners in scoring position. How many times do the A's get runners on third with less than 2 outs and not get the run in? How many sacrifice flies to score a run do the A's get? How many successful sacrifice bunts do the A's have to move the runner over? How many strikeouts do the A's have with runners in scoring position? (1 point each)(4 points possible)
6. WPA. Guess the position player on each team with the highest WPA for each game. Choose four players for each team, it does not matter which game they have the highest WPA. If you guess that one player will have the highest WPA for the team in more than one game, then you must list that player more than once. (16 points possible)
1.Entries are due by 4:08, pacific time, on Monday August 26. 65 total points possible.