The A's offense the last few weeks has been just that, weak. With the team collectively slumping, it is time for an infusion into the lineup, and if they can bring a glove with them, all the better.
On the rumor mill:
- The A's were rumored to be in on Matt Garza at the end before he was dealt to Texas. This might have been to raise up the price on the Rangers, however.
- But, the A's have also been linked to the White Sox's Jake Peavy. Peavy is signed to a hefty contract for 2013 and 2014, with a player option vesting for 2015 if he reaches 400 IP in 2013/2014, which is pretty much out of the question at this point.
- The A's, according to Jim Bowden, are pursuing relief pitchers. With Brett Anderson coming back soon, the idea would be to acquire another setup man, and send Gray back down to the minors to begin starting again.
- Phillies - Carlos Ruiz - Catcher - The A's could use a boost from catcher over Norris, and it would be a buy low on Ruiz. I only see it possible if it was part of an Utley package.
- Twins - Josh Willingham - OF/1B/DH - Willingham is on the DL, but would be a good infusion to help as a Right handed bat who we know can hit in the Coliseum. Willingham is signed past this year, so that would be good, but he is also injured right now.
- Royals - Billy Butler - 1B/DH - Butler would be an excellent Buy Low candidate, plopping into the DH spot and giving the A's some extra power in their lineup. But, beware that Butler comes with a lead glove.
- Royals - Alex Gordon - OF/3B - Gordon would potentially be a great addition to the lineup, but the question would be when to play him. As a lefty bat, Gordon would presumably platoon with Cespedes, or take Seth Smith's role. Not sure if it is worth it.
- Padres - Carlos Quentin - OF/DH - Another Right Handed Bat for the OF and DH. Quentin could easily take over Chris Young's role vs LHP, and Cespedes's or Smith vs RHP.
- Brewers - Johnathan Lucroy - C - Another good hitting RH catcher.