I don't know where Crew Chief Gary Darling will be posted Thursday. Hopefully down the LF line so he can hear me from behind the As bullpen. I'm trying to come up with good, PG insults. Ones that don't involve impossible sexual position or relations between his parents and animals. Here's what I got. Please feel free to add on, and of course, to shout them at him in between innings.
- Hey Darling, I hear that Laboradors make excellent seeing eye dogs
- Hey Darling, where can I get a copy of the MLB rules in Braille?
- Hey Darling, Dr. Scott Hiver has a special sale on LASIK right now.
- depending one where he is standing, describe his position, just like you would if you were helping a blind person. e.g., if he is on the LF line, "Hey Darling, 3B is about 20 yards in front of you, and the LF line is about 10 feet to your right."
- shout the score or inning. "Hey Daring, in case you forgot, we're starting the 4th inning"
- Hey Darling, what time does your talking wristwatch say it is?
- Hey Darling, the VISTA center in Palo Alto has excellent support services for the blind.
Any more? Come on, we can come up with a lot.
For the record, if you download the MLB rules and read the example for spectator interference in section 3.16, its even clearer that he blew the call. Whether Reddick would have caught the ball is irrelevant. (italics are mine) "Example: Runner on third base, one out and a batter hits a fly ball deep to the outfield (fair or foul). Spectator clearly interferes with the outfielder attempting to catch the fly ball. Umpire calls the batter out for spectator interference. Ball is dead at the time of the call."