NOTE: Tyson Ross and Brandon Hicks have been called up from AAA Sacramento. Bartolo Colon and Collin Cowgill placed on the disabled list. (via @Athletics)
Some fun figures to take your mind off last night's debacle:
Like a Moss
- Brandon Moss, in 15 games, is tied for second on the team in home runs (7). It took Seth Smith 63 games, Jonny Gomes 47 games and Yoenis Cespedes 39 games to reach that total.
- Daric Barton, in 37 games at 1B, accrued an fWAR of 0.4. Brandon Moss, in less than half the time, has an fWAR of 0.8, fifth on the team.
- Moss has hit as many home runs as all Giants first basemen not named Buster Posey (Brandon Belt, Brett Pill, Aubrey Huff).
- Moss has 13 hits. Only three are singles.
- Moss' longest home run, June 12 vs. Colorado, went 83.07 Altuves.
The A's take on their hated cross-bay rival again at 4:15 p.m. Tyson Ross gets the start for Oakland. Madison Bumgarner for San Francisco.
June has been a hot month
- On May 31, the A's were hitting .210 as a team, by far the worst in baseball. They were on pace to set a record of futility not seen since the 1910 White Sox (.211 team BA). Today, they're still last, but at .224. Only six points lower than the Padres, but far below the league average of .253.
- The A's have built up the second-most fWAR this month (5.4). Unfortunately this month's most valuable team? The Anaheim Angels (5.9).
- The A's have scored the most runs of any team (105) in baseball in June — nearly twice as many as the Miami Marlins (55).
- Seth Smith has been Oakland's June MVP, with 0.9 WAR so far.
- Travis Blackley (0.7 WAR) in June has been as good this month as Ryan Dempster, Brandon McCarthy, Ivan Nova and Yu Darvish.
- Tommy Milone has the second-lowest home ERA (0.99... Jered Weaver leads with 0.70) and the sixth-worst road ERA (7.42).
- Brandon McCarthy throws the second-best cut fastball and the fourth-best curveball in baseball. Milone has the fifth-best curveball.
- Ryan Cook's fastball has been the A's most effective pitch this season. The worst? Milone's fastball.
- Milone's average fastball (87.2 mph) is slower than Fautino de los Santos' changeup (88.7).
- Tyson Ross has the highest opposing batting average against lefties in the league (.369). Brandon McCarthy is the 11th-best in baseball at getting righties out (.196 BAA).
- Jarrod Parker is one of two qualifying pitchers yet to give up a solo home run. The other? Gio Gonzalez. Trevor Cahill has the next lowest ERA when the bases are empty.