With the Winter Meetings in full swing, lots of deals are being made. The A's have been the subject for several non-deals, but have been confirmed in talks with just about every short stop option on the market.
According to Susan Slusser, the A's and Tigers are both in talks with Stephen Drew. Slusser speculates that if the A's fail to sign Drew, they might try to acquire Jhonny Peralta from the Tigers (who might even end up with Drew themselves). Peralta is a power hitting, good arm SS, but with abysmal range, who might be better off at third base, so I really wonder about acquiring Peralta with the A's contact oriented pitching staff.
Also mentioned in the article is this tidbit;
Susan also mentions some interesting information about the potential SS target that I am pulling for, Hiroyuki Nakajima
Also remaining on Oakland's radar: Japanese free-agent Hiroyuki Nakajima. One industry source said that with the A's shortstop options dwindling and a less-than-robust market for Nakajima, the two might be a good match. One club that spoke to Nakajima's agent, Greg Genske, said that he is looking for a three-year deal at about $5 million per season, but few believe Nakajima will get more than one year and perhaps an option
More of Slussers articles can be found here on the SF Chronicle website.
- Scott Boras supports A's stadium move
- The Greek God of Walks has multiple offers, including a $12 million one from the Yanks, so no chance for the A's even if they were looking.
- Michael Young is on the verge of being traded to Philly. Rangers would pick up some of the tab, get a reliever in return. The trade is in Young's hands with his NTC.
- MLBTR thinks that the Mariners are pursuing Josh Hamilton.
- Jon Heyman thinks the Giants are out on Swisher. Yay! I don't have to hate him then!