We know that the A's are in on the Yunel Escobar sweepstakes. But we also know what it would take to get Stanton from the Marlins as well, thanks to Danny Knobler: 3 very top level prospects and 2 other players.
So here's my proposal to acquire both:
- Michael Choice
Dan Straily or AJ Cole
- Michael Head
- Sonny Gray
- Chris Carter/Brad Peacock/(insert other decent but low upside prospects)
I don't have too much to say about why I think this works for both teams, but here's what I'm thinking:
For the A's:
- A cost-controlled right fielder who had a 5.8 WAR last year in only 123 games.
- None of the prospects above will get even close to Stanton's current production or potential and Stanton just turned 23.
- However, all of those prospects have decent-enough upside to where the Marlins could get a 1B, LF, and 2 SPs out of the deal.
For the Marlins:
- Potential for a starting 1B, LF, and 2 SPs out of the deal. All of them are legit prospects and could be starters.
Really, I think any combination of prospects - including Russell - are worth throwing at the Marlins to get Stanton.