Being a native Ohioan, I have gone to see the A's when they come to Cleveland (or once Cincinnati) every year for a while now. I'm only 22, but it has been at least the last five years (maybe 7 of the last 8). Here are some pictures from the games and some thoughts from me too. Enjoy. Go A's!!!
Thoughts from each game:
July 3rd: 5-4 loss in 10 innings
- Gabe Gross's 2-run outfield mistake was so frustrating.
- Can't put all blame on Gross, we had a runner on 3rd in 10th and two on in 9th and didn't score.
- Geren's bullpen use is mind-boggling. Why take Blevins out after one batter(**see below)? Had we got 12 or 14 or 16 innings, we'd have long run out of pitchers.
- Yet another close loss that could have been a win. Such is the life of a team on the rebuild. We'll win those games next year. 2011 should be amazing.
July 4th: 3-1 win
- Was frustrated to see Gross start after horrible Saturday night error. If he was batting .300 or had hit 20 homers, maybe I could see not sitting him a game for it.
- Vin Mazzaro threw 100+ pitches...wow! Great start/win for Vinny!
- Blevins solidly protected A's lead to set up for Bailey(**Geren wasn't foreseeing this when he was stupidly swapping out pitchers like a madman on Saturday night).
- A's pitch like the shutdown squad we know they can be (especially after the third inning).
- Always great to see the A's in person.
- Congrats to Trevor Cahill on making the All-Star squad (too bad he'll likely pitch Sunday and subsequently not in the ASG).
- A's lead Indians in season series 4-2 (with three left in Cleveland in late August). A's won the season series 5-2 last year. Always nice to hold over my father's head (he's an Indians fan - I went to games with him).
- Lots (more than I expected) of A's fans at the games. Saw a man in a Adam Rosales shirt. Even one in a Jason Giambi shirt (A's not Yankees). Many A's hats. I wore my A's 2003 Division Champs shirt on Saturday.