Answers to #1-9 due by Tuesday @ 5pm PDT
Answer to #10 due by Monday @ 5pm PDT (if you post your answers after this time, then just skip #10).
The questions (45 points possible):
1. Who wins? [1 point] What is each team's score? [2 points for each team] NL 3 - AL 1
2.* 16 position players are making their first All-Star appearance. Do any of them get at least a double? Name one of the 16 that hits a home run ("None" is OK). [1 point for first part, 3 for the second; 4 total] Yes (John Buck) / None
3. Andrew Bailey shows up just in time for the party. Predict his number of pitches thrown (+/-3), strikeouts, and H+BB. [2 points each; 6 total] 12 pitches (9-15) / 1 K / 1 BB
4. Name a pitcher from each team that records a 1-2-3 inning (again, "None" is OK) [2 points each; 4 total]. AL: David Price (T1), Cliff Lee (T4), John Lester (T6), Rafael Soriano (T8), Jose Valverde (T9) -- NL: Josh Johnson (B3 & B4), Brian Wilson (B8)
5. I had no clue this was Swish's first ASG. Predict AB/H+BB. Also, how many outs does he record as a fielder? [2 points each; 6 total] 1 AB / 0 H+BB / 0 outs
6. Two years ago Dan Uggla recorded 3 errors in the game. Does either team score at least 3 errors this year? [yes/no only; 2 points] No
7. The 1967 ASG in Anaheim went 15 innings, which is tied for the record. (Catfish gave up a solo HR to Tony Perez to end it, BTW). Now that "It counts," does this game play free baseball? [1 point] No
8. So who's the MVP? [5 points] Brian McCann (!)
9. Predict H/K/BB for each team's starting lineup. [1 point each; 6 total] AL: 4 H / 3 K / 2 BB -- NL: 4 H / 6 K / 0 BB
10.^ Who wins the Home Run Derby? How many HRs does the winner have in the final round? [two separate questions, 3 points each; 6 total] David Ortiz / 11 HR (No one got either part)
*The players are John Buck (TB), Elvis Andrus (TEX), Adrian Beltre (BOS), Ty Wigginton (BAL), Jose Bautista (TOR), Nick Swisher (NYY), Andre Ethier (LA), Joey Votto (CIN), Martin Prado (ATL), Omar Infante (ATL), Brandon Phillips (CIN), Michael Bourn (HOU), Marlon Byrd (CHC), and Chris Young (AZ). Players unable to play (Jason Heyward and troy Tulowitzki) aren't included in the above.
^HR Derby participants: Corey Hart (MIL), Matt Holliday (STL), Hanley Ramirez (FLA), Chris Young (AZ), Miguel Cabrera (DET), David Ortiz (BOS), Nick Swisher (NYY), and Vernon Wells (TOR).