UPDATE: Game 1 is postponed until sometime in July. Feel free to modify your responses to questions 1, 2, 4, and 8 (and any others, if you feel like it). It will be helpful if people write their new answers as a response to their original comment. Bonus point on question 1 for jasonthea, who saw this all coming hours early.
The A's take the second step on a tough April road trip, heading into the new Yankee Stadium tonight for a three game series. This is only the second series to be played in the new stadium. In the first series, Yankee pitching was a can of gas tossed onto the Cleveland offensive bonfire. Clearly, the A's need some of that.
Unfortunately, what we get is two left-handed pitchers to start the series -- Pettitte, who has been the Yankees best starter so far this season, and Sabathia, who is one of the best pitchers in baseball. In game three, the A's finally get to see a righty, but it's Joba Chamberlain, who was very good in his one start against Oakland last year. Let's go A's!
GOG #05 :: New Stadium, Same Damn Yankees (37 points possible)
Three game series @ New York -- April 20-22
UPDATE -- answers given below in bold
- Series outcome [3 points] 2-0 Yankees
- Swish! :: Predict his AB/H/HR [2 points each] 7 AB / 1 H / 0 HR
- Yankees 1st base upgrade? :: Who posts a better OBP for the series, Giambi or Teixeira? [+1 if right, -1 if wrong] Teixeira
- Geren has to give them a rest eventually, right? :: How many innings does the A's bullpen pitch? [3 points] 12 innings
- Really crooked numbers :: Do the A's score 5+ runs in any inning of the series? [+1 if right, -1 if wrong] no
- A Wild Ride :: Predict Eveland's IP/BB/ER [2 points each] 4 IP / 4 BB / 4 ER
- Continued running futility :: Does any Athletic get caught stealing during the series? [+1 if right, -1 if wrong] yes (Sweeney)
- ARod's replacement :: Predict Cody Ransom's H/BB/K [2 points each] 2 H / 0 BB / 3 K
- Enough with the lefties already! :: How many runs do the A's score off Petite and Sabathia combined? [3 points] A's score 9 off the Yankee's starters (only 8 earned)
- The Hero, the Villian :: Which Athletic and which Yankee has the best OPS for the series? [3 points each] hero = Kurt Suzuki, villain = Melky Cabrera
- Will any games be decided in the 8th inning or later? [+1 if right, -1 if wrong] yes
Your entries are due by whenever the first pitch of the series ends up being thrown.
Also, results for GOG #04
will be added are posted here shortly.
The distribution of scores ended up narrower than usual for this one. No huge scores, nobody below zero, and a whole bunch of 4s. Congratulations to doctorK, who is the winner and has turned in back-to-back good performances after averaging only 2 points for the first 3 GOGs.
One quick scoring note… because of all the confusion about game 1 getting canceled, I ended up giving partial credit (1 point) for anyone who guessed 2-1 Yankees as the series outcome. I would have given full credit for anyone predicting a three game Yankees sweep, but there weren't any of those.
Overall scoring statistics
- mean = 5.73171 points
- standard deviation = 3.39134 points
- mode = 4 points
Things got a bit shaken up in the overall standings, as micdog2001 finally dropped out of first place and fell all the way down to 4th. Perpetual runner-up zaniac75 takes over the lead, with mikeA close behind. I don't know where swatnick came from, but he's up in third now. Meanwhile, Cutthemullet is the only contestant still batting over .300, but he's only played twice.
|name||place (this GOG)||score (this GOG)||# of GOGs||place (all GOG)||score (all GOG)||place (by AVG)||score by AVG|
|VORP is too nerdy||7||3||26||24||10||0.229|
|Athletics fan and runner||3||3||40||0||40||0.000|