So, the Giants land the "Top Free Agent Pitcher" of the 2006-2007 Offseason". Yeah for them. So, WIIFU, you ask...?(What's In It For Us?). Well, as I see it, there are some teams very close to applying the "Win at all Costs" theory over the month of January.
One of those teams is the NY Mets. New York Fans/Media won't put up with another season of mediocre pitching, and they have a ton of question marks in their rotation. Minaya knows it. The Baseball World knows it.
Mets' 2007 Rotation:
Blue Jays 2007 Rotation:
So, let's take a look at each prospect teams Top 10 List - According to John Sickels (Mets) and Baseball America (Blue Jays):
- Fernando Martinez, OF, A- (tools and youth, just needs refinement)
- Mike Pelfrey, RHP, Grade A- (I think the breaking pitch problem is overblown. He had a good one in college and I think he'll find it again. I am sticking with my guns on this one)
- Phil Humber, RHP, B+ (Many prefer him over Pelfrey, I like both)
- Carlos Gomez, OF, B (great tools, but I'm not sure about his power)
- Jon Niese, LHP, B- (projectable lefty is a personal favorite)
- Deolis Guerra, RHP, B- (live arm, a long way away)
- Kevin Mulvey, RHP, B- (accidently left off first list)
- Joe Smith, RHP, B- (impressive reliever could advance fast)
- Mike Carp, 1B, B- (developing power bat to watch)
- Alay Soler, RHP, C+ (Cuban defector looks better as a reliever to me than a starter)
- Adam Lind, of
- Travis Snider, of
- Ricky Romero, lhp
- Ryan Patterson, of
- Curtis Thigpen, c
- Francisco Rosario, rhp
- Brandon Magee, rhp
- Jesse Litsch, rhp
- David Purcey, lhp
- Balbino Fuenmayor, 3b
Billy Beane covets Non-Prospects, Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman, and Alex Rios. Let's pretend that every Oakland A's pitcher is on the trading block. And, we know that 1-Year of Jason Jennings is worth a Top Organizational Prospect (Hirsch), and 2 Young MLB-Ready Players (Taverez & Buchholtz).
What is 4 Years of Blanton worth? What is 3-4 years of Harden or Haren worth? When Billy Beane says that "Joe Kennedy is now a Starter", does this increase is trade value for teams looking for a #3/#4/#5 Starter?
Blanton and Calero,
Milledge, Heilman, and Humber
Billy's phone is Ringing. GM's know that Haren, Blanton, and Harden have all been discussed. Hell, E-Lo looks like a great deal right now. What deal does Billy do in January?